Chair Professor Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Dr. ZHANG Hong is currently a Chair Professor in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering at Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech). Prior to joining SUSTech, he was a Professor in the Department of Computing Science, University of Alberta, Canada where he worked for over 30 years. Over his career, Dr. Zhang has trained over 80 graduate students at MSc and PhD levels and post-doctoral fellows, who have moved on to their successful and important positions in academia and industry. Dr. Zhang's research interests include robotics, autonomous vehicles, computer vision, and image processing. He held an NSERC Industrial Research Chair from 2003-2017, and made significant contributions in robotics research. He currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief of IROS Conference Paper Review Board, a flagship conference of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society. In recognition of his many contributions, Dr. Zhang was elected a Fellow of IEEE and a Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering.
- Mobile roboti navigation, visual SLAM, semantic mapping
- Autonomous driving, vehicle-to-vehicle based collective driving, collaborative scene understanding
- Human-robot interaction, mobile manipulation
- Visual object detection, object tracking, image segmentation
- Applications of polarization camera including HDR imaging, 3D reconstruction and transparent object detection
EE 346 - Mobile Robot Navigation