Translation of genetic information into protein is fundamental to life. It is carried out by the large macromolecular machine called the ribosome. We use a combination of bioinformatic, biochemical, crystallographic and electron microscopic techniques to study the mechanism of translation by ribosomes. Some current projects in the lab include:
◆ Translational Quality Control. Failures in protein synthesis are inevitable given the massive number of proteins that cells create. We are studying how protein synthesis that stalls midway can lead to translation arrest, degradation of the partially synthesized nascent chain, and degradation of the mRNA.
◆ Non-canonical translation initiation. In cancer cells, due to the phosphorylation of eIF2beta, the translation initiation is carried out in a non-canonical pathway. Understanding of the mechnisim of this initiation pathway will help to shed light on the development of anticancerl therapeutic agents.
◆ Ribosome Biogenesis. Ribosome maturation is an extraordinary complex process that requires numerous additional protein factors. Errors in ribosome biogenesis are related to lots of diseases including cancers.
14. Fuxing Zeng and Hong Jin (2018). “Conformation of methylated GGQ in the peptidyl transferase center during translation termination.” Sci Rep 8:2349.
13. Alberto Brandariz-Núñez#, Fuxing Zeng#, Quan Ngoc Lam, Hong Jin (2018). “Sbp1 modulates the translation of Pab1 mRNA in a poly (A)-and RGG-dependent manner.” RNA 24(1): 43-55.
12. Fuxing Zeng, Yanbo Chen, Jonathan Remis, Mrinal Shekhar, James C. Phillips, Emad Tajkhorshid and Hong Jin (2017). “Structural basis of co-translational quality control by ArfA and RF2 bound to ribosome.” Nature 541(7638): 554-557.
11. Yan Bao#, Xuewei Wu#, Jinjing Chen, Xiangming Hu, Fuxing Zeng, Jinjing Cheng, Hong Jin, Xin Lin, and Lin-Feng Chen. 2017. “Brd4 modulates the innate immune response through Mnk2-eIF4E pathway-dependent translational control of IκBα.” Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 114(20): E3993-E4001.
10. Fuxing Zeng and Hong Jin (2016). “Peptide release promoted by methylated RF2 and ArfA in nonstop translation is achieved by an induced-fit mechanism.” RNA 22(1): 49-60.
9. Wenjuan Zhang, Fuxing Zeng, Yiwei Liu, Chen Shao, Sai Li, Hui Lv, Yunyu Shi, Liwen Niu, Maikun Teng* and Xu Li* (2015). “Crystal Structure of Human SSRP1 Middle Domain Reveals a Role in DNA Binding.” Sci Rep 5: 18688.
8. Fuxing Zeng, Wenjuan Zhang, Nairui Xue, Maikun Teng, Xu Li* and Bing Shen* (2014). “Crystal structure of phospholipase PA2-Vb, a protease-activated receptor agonist from the Trimeresurus stejnegeri snake venom.” FEBS Lett 588(24): 4604-4612.
7. Wenjuan Zhang, Fuxing Zeng, Yiwei Liu, Yan Zhao, Hui Lv, Liwen Niu, Maikun Teng* and Xu Li* (2013). “Crystal structures and RNA-binding properties of the RNA recognition motifs of heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein L: insights into its roles in alternative splicing regulation.” J Biol Chem 288(31): 22636-22649.
6. Fuxing Zeng, Bing Shen, Zhongliang Zhu, Ping Zhang, Yonghua Ji, Liwen Niu, Xu Li *and Maikun Teng* (2013). “Crystal structure and activating effect on RyRs of AhV_TL-I, a glycosylated thrombin-like enzyme from Agkistrodon halys snake venom.” Arch Toxicol 87(3): 535-545.
5. Fuxing Zeng, Zhisong Zou, Liwen Niu, Xu Li* and Maikun Teng* (2013). “AhV_aPA-induced vasoconstriction involves the IP(3)Rs-mediated Ca(2)(+) releasing.” Toxicon 70: 107-113.
4. Hong Wang, Fuxing Zeng, Qiao Liu, Huihui Liu, Zexian Liu, Liwen Niu, Maikun Teng* and Xu Li* (2013). “The structure of the ARE-binding domains of Hu antigen R (HuR) undergoes conformational changes during RNA binding.” Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 69(Pt 3): 373-380.
3. Zhisong Zou, Fuxing Zeng, Lu Zhang, Liwen Niu, Maikun Teng* and Xu Li* (2012). “Purification, crystallization and preliminary X-ray diffraction analysis of an acidic phospholipase A2 with vasoconstrictor activity from Agkistrodon halys pallas venom.” Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun 68(Pt 11): 1329-1332.
2. Li Xing, Yuwei Zhu, Pengfei Fang, Jing Wang, Fuxing Zeng, Xuesong Li, Maikun Teng* and Xu Li* (2011). “Crystallization and preliminary crystallographic studies of UbiG, an O-methyltransferase from Escherichia coli.” Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun 67(Pt 6): 727-729.
1. Mingzong Li, Weidong Tang, Fuxing Zeng, Liguang Lou and Tianpa You (2008). “Semi-synthesis and biological activity of gamma-lactones analogs of camptothecin.” Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18(24): 6441-6443.