Assistant Professor Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering
Dr. Dong Yang is an assistant professor at SUSTech. His research focuses on predicting and damping of thermoacoustic instabilities, with strong expertise in low-order network modelling and vortex-sound-entropy coupling theory. He got his first and Master’s degrees from Tsinghua University, and his PhD in 2017 from Imperial College London. His PhD thesis “The acoustics of short circular holes and their damping of thermoacoustic oscillations” won the Osborne Reynolds Award 2017 Oral Presentation Finalist -- top six PhDs in Fluid Mechanics in the UK. His research has made significant impact in the thermoacoustic and aeroacoustics communities, including being highlighted by the Journal of Sound and Vibration as “2017 Highlight of Aeroacoustics research in Europe”. He has been invited to give talks or build collaborations on thermoacoustic instabilities with many leading companies such as Rolls-Royce, Siemens, Reaction Engines and Shanghai Electric. He is an organizer of the 23rd International Congress on Acoustics, and reviewer for Journal of Sound and Vibration, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Combustion and Flame, AIAA Journal, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power etc.
2013-2017, PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London, UK
Thesis: The acoustics of short circular holes and their damping of thermoacoustic oscillations
- 2017 Highlight of Aeroacoustics research in Europe by Journal of Sound and Vibration, 2019, 450, 175-198
- Osborne Reynolds award 2017, oral presentation finalist -- top six PhDs in Fluid Mechanics in the UK
2011-2013, Master in Thermal Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Thesis: Theoretical and experimental study of Helmholtz resonators optimized with neck materials
- Graduated with top journal publications
2007-2011, Bachelor in Thermal Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Outstanding student scholarship (top ~10% in the major)
2003-2007, High School, Bashu Secondary School, Chongqing, China
- Top 0.03% in the 2007 National Higher Education Entrance Examination
(1) Thermoacoustic instabilities
(2) Vortex-sound-entropy coupling theory
(3) Acoustic dampers
(4) Dynamical systems
(5) Optimization and control
Publications Read More
Lab members Read More
My group at SUSTech is currently at its initial stage and I am expecting it to grow fast. We have several positions available now for postdoc, PhD and Masters students.
Postdoc positions are available for the following topics:
- To develop predicting and control tools for thermoacoustic instabilities in multi-burner combustors,
- To develop vortex-sound-entropy coupling models for predicting and damping of thermoacoustic instabilities,
- Other relevant topics (to be discussed).
- Develop theoretical models.
- Validate the models by comparing with numerical/experimental results.
- Incorporate these models into low-order network models for predicting and damping thermoacoustic instabilities.
- Liaise with collaborators at Imperial College London (UK), KTH (Sweden), Tsinghua and Beihang to validate predictions.
- Prepare results for publication and dissemination via presentations, scientific papers, outreach activities and public/industrial engagement.
- Be a key member of the research group and perform reasonable tasks related to the furtherance of the project and group aims.
- To observe and comply with all university policies and regulations, including the key policies and procedures on Confidentiality, Conflict of Interest, Business Continuity, Data Protection, Equal Opportunities, Ethics related, External Interests, Financial Regulations, Health and Safety, Information Technology and Smoking etc.
- Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the postholder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Payment: about CNY 335k/year, with possible annual bonus, housing stipend etc. Exceptionally competitive applicants can apply for the President Excellent Postdoc (about CNY 415k/year) and oversea applicants can apply for the Excellent Postdoc scheme from Guangdong province.