Research Associate Scientist Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering
Yang Canhui, Male, PhD, assistant professor at Southern University of Science and Technology. He graduated from the School of Aerospace, Xi’an Jiaotong University, and received his bachelor’s degree majoring in solid mechanics in 2012. Then, he received his doctor’s degree in engineering from Xi’an Jiaotong University in 2017. He studied as a joint PhD student at Harvard University from 2015 to 2017, and worked as a postdoctoral at the School of Engineering, Harvard University. Since 2019, he has been working in the Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology.
His research interests include soft material mechanics, flexible and large deformable ionotronics, material and application of hydrogels, etc. Currently, he has published more than 20 academic papers in journals such as JMPS, EML, Nature Reviews Materials, Nature Communications, Advanced Materials, and more than 1700 Google Scholar citations (by December 2020), with an H-index of 17. He serves as a reviewer of many international journal including JMPS, Advanced Materials, EML, Research, etc. He is a member of the Intelligent Composites Committee of the Chinese Society for Composite Materials. He has applied for three US patents and five Chinese invention patents. He is now in charge of three scientific research projects.
2019/07-Present , Assistant professor, Southern University of Science and Technology , Shenzhen , China
2018/9 – 2019/1，Teaching Assistant ，Harvard University ，USA
2017/3 – 2019/6 ，Postdoctoral Fellow ，Harvard University ，USA
2013 – 2017， Ph.D. in Mechanics ， Xi’an Jiaotong University
2015 – 2017，Joint Training PhD，Harvard University ，USA
2008 – 2012, Bachelor in Engineering Mechanics , Xi’an Jiaotong University
Soft material and mechanics;
Flexible large deformation device;
High strength multifunctional hydrogel design and synthesis;
Soft material bonding;
Selected Journal Publications
1. Canhui Yang, Tenghao Yin, Zhigang Suo*, Rupture of polyacrylamide hydrogel I. Network imperfection. JMPS, 131, 43-55.
2. Jiawei Yang, Ruobing Bai, Jianyu Li, Canhui Yang, Xi Yao, Qihan Liu, Joost J. Vlassak, David J. Mooney, Zhigang Suo*, Design Molecular Topology for Wet–Dry Adhesion. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2019.
3. Canhui Yang, Zhigang Suo*, Hydrogel ionotronics, Nature Reviews Materials, 2018, 3, 125-142.
4. Qihan Liu#, Guodong Nian#, Canhui Yang#, Shaoxing Qu, Zhigang Suo*, Bonding dissimilar polymer networks in various manufacturing processes, Nat. Commun., 2018, 9:846.
5. Ruobing Bai, Jiawei Yang, Xavier P. Morelle, Canhui Yang, Zhigang Suo*, Fatigue fracture of self-recovery hydrogels, ACS Macro Lett., 2018, 7: 312-317.
6. Canhui Yang, Shuang Zhou, Samuel Shian, David R. Clarke, Zhigang Suo*, Organic liquid-crystal devices based on ionic conductors, Mater. Horiz., 2017, 4(6): 1102-1109.
7. Charles Hamilton, Kevin Tian, Jinhye Bae, Canhui Yang, Gursel Alici, Geoffrey M. Spinks, Zhigang Suo, Joost J. Vlassak, Marc in het Panhuis, A soft stretchable sensor: Towards peripheral nerve signal sensing, MRS Advances, 2018, 2, 1-6 (Conference).
8. Kevin Tian, Jinhye Bae, Shannon E. Bakarich, Canhui Yang, Reece D. Gately, Geoffrey M. Spinks, Marc in het Panhuis, Zhigang Suo*, Joost J. Vlassak*, 3D Printing of transparent and conductive heterogeneous hydrogel–elastomer systems, Adv. Mater., 2017, 29(10): 1604827.
9. Canhui Yang, Baohong Chen, Jinxiong Zhou, Yong Mei Chen, Zhigang Suo*, Electroluminescence of giant stretchability, Adv. Mater., 2016, 28(22): 4480-4484.
10. Canhui Yang, Baohong Chen, Jing Jiang Lu, Jian Hai Yang, Jinxiong Zhou, Yong Mei Chen*, Zhigang Suo*, Ionic cable, Extreme Mechanics Letters, 2015, 3: 59-65.
11. Hussain Haider#, Canhui Yang#, Wen Jiang Zheng, Jian Hai Yang, Mei Xiang Wang, Sen Yang, Miklos Zrinyi, Yoshihito Osada, Zhigang Suo, Qiqing Zhang, Jinxiong Zhou*, Yong Mei Chen*, Exceptionally tough and notch-insensitive magnetic hydrogels, Soft Matter, 2015, 11(42): 8253-8261.
12. Mei Xiang Wang, Canhui Yang, Zhen Qi Liu, Jinxiong Zhou, Feng Xu, Zhigang Suo, Jian Hai Yang*, Yong Mei Chen*, Tough photoluminescent hydrogels doped with lanthanide, Macromol. Rapid Commun., 2015, 36(5): 465-471.
13. Baohong Chen, Jing Jing Lu, Canhui Yang, Jian Hai Yang, Jinxiong Zhou, Yong Mei Chen*, Zhigang Suo*, Highly stretchable and transparent ionogels as nonvolatile conductors for dielectric elastomer transducers, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2014, 6(10): 7840-7845.
14. Canhui Yang, Mei Xiang Wang, Hussain Haider, Jian Hai Yang, Jeong-Yun Sun, Yong Mei Chen*, Jinxiong Zhou*, Zhigang Suo, Strengthening alginate/polyacrylamide hydrogels using various multivalent cations, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2013, 5(21): 10418-10422.
Mechanics of soft materials;
Soft and stretchable devices;
Design and synthesis of robust hydrogels;
An Introduction to Mechanics and Aerospace (2019 autumn)
Theoretical Mechanics (2020,2021spring)
Mechanics of Materials (2021autumn )
Special experiments in solid mechanics (2021autumn)
Publications Read More
Lab members Read More
We are always seeking enthusiastic and talented Research Assistant Professors, Post-doc Research Associates, Research Assistants.
We have various openings in the “Soft Mechanics Lab” for research assistant professors, postdoctoral researchers, research assistants, visiting scholars/postgraduates, and PhD programs with internationally competitive salary. Researchers and students interested in mechanics, materials and applications of soft matters (with background in mechanics, material sciences, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, etc.) are welcome to get in touch and join our lab. Please send a cover letter explaining your qualifications and research plan for the position, a CV with a list of publications, and the contact details of two referees to the email: email@example.com. The subject of the email should be "Job position + name + age + gender". Also indicate the time available for arrival in the email. After the initial confirmation of the intention, we will invite candidates to the Southern University of Science and Technology for an on-site interview.
1.Research Assistant Professorship position
1) Candidates should hold a PhD degree in Mechanics, Material Sciences, Mechanical Engineering or related fields.
2) Postdoctoral work experience in overseas or domestic research universities or research institutions or higher-level scientific research work for more than 2 years.
3) Published more than two papers as the first author in peer-reviewed top journals in relevant fields;
4) Exceptionally self-motivated and be able to conduct scientific researches on relevant field directions of the group.
1) Assist the PI and participate in the project researches of the group;
2) Complete the research of the project and publish peer-reviewed papers on top journals in relevant fields;
3) Apply for research funding to support research projects;
4) Help supervise students.
The positions are for two years initially, renewable depending on funding availability;
Annual salary >= 35k RMB, including housing & dining stipends and festival bonus, plus contributions to superannuation, medical insurance, etc.; Negotiable according to the applicant’s background.
Eligible to apply for the National Natural Science Foundation of China and other national, provincial and municipal projects;
3) Qualified applicants can apply for 1.6 or 2 million allowance supported by the government of Shenzhen city.
Qualifications and Job responsibilities
1) PhD degree, major in Mechanics, Material Sciences, Mechanical Engineering or related field. Applicants with first authored or co-authored peer-reviewed top journals in relevant fields will be considered first;
2) Easy-going, teamwork, self-motivated and hard-working.
3) Assist to establish experiment systems and advise master's/doctoral students;
4) Fluent in English; no more than 35 years old, obtain PhD degree within 3 years.
The positions are for two years initially, renewable depending on funding availability. The employment period is two years, and the annual salary starts at 330k RMB, including Guangdong Province's living allowance of 150,000 yuan and Shenzhen's living
allowance of 60kRMB. Social insurance and housing provident are covered according to the relevant regulations of Shenzhen. Post-doctoral welfare fees are paid in accordance with the school’s staff standards;
Outstanding candidates can apply for the Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship with annual salary of ~400k RMB;
1) A travel grant of 25,000 RMB in two years for attending academic conferences and workshops, etc.
2) Particularly outstanding candidates can apply for the principal's excellent postdoc, with an annual salary of more than 500kRMB. (Including Guangdong Province and Shenzhen Subsidies)
2) Qualified applicants can apply for a one-time rent and living compensation of 30k RMB (tax-free);
3) Qualified applicants can apply for "Guangdong overseas young postdoctoral program", with a total funding of 600k RMB for 2 years. Further support of 400k RMB might be available depending on the qualifications.
4) Eligible for various funding sources, such as scientific research projects of China postdoctoral science foundation, national natural science foundation, and other funding supported by the governments of Guangdong province and Shenzhen city.
5)Boxin Program selects 400 fresh or recent graduates of outstanding doctoral students, the funding standard of two years is 630kRMB, of which 400kRMB is for the daily expenses , 200kRMB is for science funding, 30kRMB is for international exchange funding.
1) Bachelor degree or master degree in mechanics, material sciences, mechanical engineering, applied physics, etc;
2) Teamwork, self-motivated and hard-working;
3) Fluent in English.
1) Assist in the construction and management of the lab;
2) Conduct scientific researches and paper writing.
1) Annual salary >= 100k RMB;
2) Enjoy national holidays and paid leave according to school regulations;
3) Allowance for festivals, meals; free physical examination, and bonus, etc.