Assistant Professor Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering
Assistant Professor Yahui Xue graduated from the Department of Mechanics and Engineering Science at Peking University in 2009 and 2015 with a bachelor's degree in theoretical and applied mechanics and a doctorate in solid mechanics, respectively. From 2011 to 2013, he worked as a visiting scholar in the Institute of Materials Research at Helmholtz Zentrum Geesthacht in Germany. From 2016 to 2021, he worked as a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at University of California, Berkeley. From June 2021, he served as an assistant professor in the Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering at Southern University of Science and Technology. The research interest lies in the fields of micro-nanomechanics, solid-liquid interfaces, micro/nanostructured materials, and synthetic ion channels, etc. The main aim is to use novel materials and new methods to resolve fundamental problems related but not limited to wetting stability of micro/nanostructures, active control of liquid flow and ion transport at nanometer and even atomic scales, which can find important applications in energy, environmental engineering, and medical treatment.
Peking University, Beijing 2009/09-2015/07
Ph.D., Department of Mechanics and Engineering Science
Field: Fluid-Solid Interactions, Solid Mechanics
Advisor: Prof. Huiling Duan
Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht, Germany 2011/04-2013/10
Visiting Scholar, Institute of Materials Research
Advisor: Prof. Jörg Weißmüller
Peking University, Beijing 2005/09-2009/06
B.Sc., Department of Mechanics and Engineering Science
Major: Theoretical and Applied Mechanics
Sputhern University of Science and Technology, 2021/06-now
Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering
University of California, Berkeley, CA 2016/02-2021/2
Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Advisor: Prof. Xiang Zhang
Honors and Awards
• 2017 Nomination for Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation in Mechanics, China
• 2016 The Lloyd Hamilton Donnell Applied Mechanics Reviews Paper Award,
The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (the first author)
• 2015 Academic Top 10, College of Engineering, Peking University 2015
• 2014 Academic Innovation Award, Peking University 2014
- Yahui Xue, and Xiang Zhang. Self-adaptive acoustic cloak enabled by soft mechanical metamaterials. Extreme Mechanics Letters 46: 101347, 2021.
- Yahui Xue#, Yang Xia#, Sui Yang, Yousif Alsaid, King Yan Fong, Yuan Wang, and Xiang Zhang. Atomic-scale ion transistor with ultrahigh diffusivity. Science 372 (6541): 501-503, 2021 (#equal contribution).
- Yahui Xue, Pengyu Lv, Hao Lin, and Huiling Duan. Underwater superhydrophobicity: Stability, design and regulation, and applications. Applied Mechanics Reviews 68 (3): 030803, 2016.
- Yahui Xue, Yanbing Yang, Hui Sun, Xiying Li, Shiting Wu, Anyuan Cao, and Huiling Duan. A switchable and compressible carbon nanotube sponge electrocapillary imbiber. Advanced Materials 27 (44): 7241-7246, 2015.
- Yahui Xue, Pengyu Lv, Ying Liu, Yipeng Shi, Hao Lin, and Huiling Duan. Morphology of gas cavities on patterned hydrophobic surfaces under reduced pressure. Physics of Fluids 27 (9): 092003, 2015.
- Yahui Xue, Yang Wu, Xiaowei Pei, Huiling Duan, Qunji Xue, and Feng Zhou. How solid–liquid adhesive property regulates liquid slippage on solid surfaces? Langmuir 31 (1): 226-232, 2015.
- Yahui Xue, Jürgen Markmann, Huiling Duan, Jörg Weissmüller, and Patrick Huber. Switchable imbibition in nanoporous gold. Nature communications 5: 4237, 2014.
- Pengyu Lv, Yahui Xue, Yipeng Shi, Hao Lin, and Huiling Duan. Metastable states and wetting transition of submerged superhydrophobic structures. Physical review letters 112 (19): 196101, 2014.
- Yahui Xue, Huijing Yuan, Weidong Su, Yipeng Shi, and Huiling Duan. Enhanced load-carrying capacity of hairy surfaces floating on water. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 470 (2165): 20130832, 2014.
- Yang Wu, Yahui Xue, Xiaowei Pei, Meirong Cai, Huiling Duan, Wilhelm TS Huck, Feng Zhou, and Qunji Xue. Adhesion-regulated switchable fluid slippage on superhydrophobic surfaces. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 118 (5): 2564-2569, 2014.
- Yahui Xue, Yan Wang, and Huiling Duan. Mechanics of Surface Enhanced Microcantilever Sensors. In IUTAM Symposium on Surface Effects in the Mechanics of Nanomaterials and Heterostructures, pp. 289-300. Springer, Dordrecht, 2013.
- Yahui Xue, Shigan Chu, Pengyu Lv, and Huiling Duan. Importance of hierarchical structures in wetting stability on submersed superhydrophobic surfaces. Langmuir 28 (25): 9440-9450, 2012.
Underwater superhydrophobicity and drag reduction
Switchable capillary flow in nanoporous media
Atomic-scale synthetic ion channels
Publications Read More
Lab members Read More
We currently have openings for three postdoc positions, and research directions are not limited but preferred in low dimensional materials, Atomic force microscopy, nanofluidics, ion batteries, and micro/nanofabrication, etc. Interested candidates should email a CV (incl. names of three references) and cover letter to Yahui Xue (email@example.com).
PhD, Master, and undergraduate students are always welcome to apply.