Professor Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering
Dr Zheng WANG graduated from Tsinghua University, China (BEng), Imperial College, UK (MSc), Technical University of Munich, Germany (D-Ing), and served as Postdoc Fellow in Nanyang Technological University and Harvard University, respectively. From 2014-2019 he served as Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Hong Kong, before joining SUSTECH in 2019 as Professor and Principal Investigator. Dr Wang’s research interests include: Soft robotic design and control, compliant mechanism modeling and analysis, flexible & bionic design and fabrication, and extreme environment (medical / underwater / energy) robotic systems. He had successfully led and collaborated in over 20 research grants across EU, Singapore, US, HK, and China, receiving sponsorship from HK RGC, ITC, Shenzhen Technological and Innovation Committee, and major leading companies from Microsoft, Delta, Lenovo, MBrain, Hytera, Tencent, etc. Dr Wang is currently a Senior Member of IEEE and IEEE RAS, and Member of ASME, TE for IEEE/ASME TMECH, AE for IMechE JSCE and Machines, and reviewing panelist for Nature, Science, Nat Comm, Sci. Rob, and EU/Singapore/HK/NSFC grant councils. To-date Dr Wang had authored nearly 100 academically refereed articles (GS citation 3000+, H-Index=27), and over 30 patents.
◆ Soft Bionic Robots: High-performance soft robotic actuators & controllers/ Soft robotic arm & gripper
◆Underwater Robots: Dexterous, compact, and efficient general or biomimetic underwater robots
◆Wearable Robots: Compliant wearable robots with soft origami actuators
◆Power Grid & Field Robots: Dexterous robotic systems for extreme environment applications
◆2019.2-present，SUSTECH Dept Mechanical and Energy Eng, Professor
◆2014.6-2019.2，Dept. Mechanical Engineering, HKU, Assistant Professor
◆2013.2-2014.5，Harvard University, SEAS, USA, Research Fellow with Joint Appointment
◆2013.2-2014.5，Harvard WYSS Institute of Bioinspired Engineering, Postdoc Fellow
◆2010.5-2013.2，Nanyang Tech. Univ, Singapore, Robotics Research Center, Postdoc
◆2006.6-2010.5，Technical University of Munich, Germany, LSR, Research Assistance
◆2010.12, Technical University of Munich, Germany, D-Ing.
◆2005.9, Imperial College London, UK, Control Systems, MSc
◆2004.9, Tsinghua University, Control Theory and Engineering, BSc
Honors and Awards：
◆2020，Guinness World Records, “Fastest 50m Swim by a Robotic Fish”
◆2019，Geneva International Invention Exhibition, Silver Medal
◆2019，IEEE International Conference on Soft Robotics, Best Paper Award Final list
◆2018，HKUEAA ENGINNOVATE 2018 Challenge，Gold Award Champion
◆2018，Robotics and Automation Systems (SCI-Q1) Best paper in 5 years（2013-2018）
◆2015，IEEE Inter. Conf. on Real-time Computing, Robotics and Automation 2015 Best paper Award (Final list)
1. Zhang, R., Shen, Z., Zhong, H., Tan, J., Hu, Y., & Wang, Z. (2020). A Cephalopod-Inspired Soft-Robotic Siphon for Thrust Vectoring and Flow Rate Regulation. Soft Robotics.
2. Li, J., Lam, J., Liu, M., & Wang, Z. (2020). Compliant Control and Compensation for A Compact Cable-Driven Robotic Manipulator. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 5(4), 5417-5424.
3. Wang, L., & Wang, Z. (2020). Mechanoreception for soft robots via intuitive body cues. Soft robotics, 7(2), 198-217.
4. Shen, Z., Zhong, H., Xu, E., Zhang, R., Yip, K. C., Chan, L. L., ... & Wang, Z. (2020). An Underwater Robotic Manipulator with Soft Bladders and Compact Depth-Independent Actuation. Soft Robotics.
5. Zhong, H., Shen, Z., Zhao, Y., Tang, K., Wang, W., & Wang, Z. (2020). A Hybrid Underwater Manipulator System With Intuitive Muscle-Level sEMG Mapping Control. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 5(2), 3198-3205.
6. Su, Y., Fang, Z., Zhu, W., Sun, X., Zhu, Y., Wang, H., ... & Wang, Z. (2020). A High-Payload Proprioceptive Hybrid Robotic Gripper With Soft Origamic Actuators. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 5(2), 3003-3010.
7. Chen, X., Guo, Y., Duanmu, D., Zhou, J., Zhang, W., & Wang, Z. (2019). Design and modeling of an extensible soft robotic arm. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 4(4), 4208-4215.
8. Yi, J., Chen, X., Song, C., Zhou, J., Liu, Y., Liu, S., & Wang, Z. (2018). Customizable three-dimensional-printed origami soft robotic joint with effective behavior shaping for safe interactions. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 35(1), 114-123.
9. Chen, X., Yi, J., Li, J., Zhou, J., & Wang, Z. (2018). Soft-actuator-based robotic joint for safe and forceful interaction with controllable impact response. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 3(4), 3505-3512.
10. Zhang, R., Shen, Z., & Wang, Z. (2018). Ostraciiform underwater robot with segmented caudal fin. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 3(4), 2902-2909.
11. Yi, J., Chen, X., Song, C., & Wang, Z. (2018). Fiber-reinforced origamic robotic actuator. Soft robotics, 5(1), 81-92.
12. Shen, Z., Na, J., & Wang, Z. (2017). A biomimetic underwater soft robot inspired by cephalopod mollusc. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 2(4), 2217-2223.
13. Chen, X., Peng, J., Zhou, J., Chen, Y., Wang, M. Y., & Wang, Z. (2017, May). A robotic manipulator design with novel soft actuators. In 2017 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) (pp. 1878-1884). IEEE.
14. Wang, Z., Polygerinos, P., Overvelde, J. T., Galloway, K. C., Bertoldi, K., & Walsh, C. J. (2016). Interaction forces of soft fiber reinforced bending actuators. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 22(2), 717-727.
15. Polygerinos, P., Wang, Z., Galloway, K. C., Wood, R. J., & Walsh, C. J. (2015). Soft robotic glove for combined assistance and at-home rehabilitation. Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 73, 135-143.
16. Polygerinos, P., Wang, Z., Overvelde, J. T., Galloway, K. C., Wood, R. J., Bertoldi, K., & Walsh, C. J. (2015). Modeling of soft fiber-reinforced bending actuators. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 31(3), 778-789.
1）Soft robotic design and control,
- High-performance soft robotic actuators & controllers design
- Microfluidic soft robotic system control
2）Compliant mechanism modeling and analysis,
- Compliant mechanisms modeling based on hyper-elastic and small-strain elastic materials
- Hyper-elastic material FEM modeling and simulation analysis
3）Flexible & bionic design and fabrication,
- Bionic robotic actuators, sensors, and systems design
- 3D-printing, extreme manufacturing of soft and flexible robotic systems
4）Extreme environment field robotic systems
- Wearable robotics for medical and rehabilitation
- Underwater high-performance operating robotic systems
- Extreme field robots for energy service operations
ME435 Soft Robotics
ME232 Prolegonemon to Robotics
GGC5013 Scientific Research Methods
Publications Read More
Lab members Read More
Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering of SUSTech (Hereafter referred as “The Department”) was founded on January 2016 with aims at being a global research base and cultivating creative talents in engineering. The department offer new and all-round and general programs and practicums enable students to have solid mathematics, science and engineering foundations as well as the qualities as mechanical engineers. Students are embodied with comprehensive theoretical knowledge, self-motivation, exceptional professions, interdisciplinary backgrounds, excellent humanistic literacy, global outlooks, research capabilities in engineering sciences and in solving significant problems in the field. The current research fields mainly include: intelligent manufacturing, forming and 3D printing, precision machining technology, energy engineering, robotics and automation.
In three years, the department has Shenzhen Key Laboratory for Additive Manufacturing of High-performance Materials and Shenzhen Engineering Laboratory fou Automotive Fuel Cell Stacks, research institute of robotics, research institute of intelligent manufacturing, innovation team of Guangdong Province and Peacock Teams of Shenzhen for formation, additive manufacturing, precise manufacturing technology and energy engineering. In addition, guided by development plan of the university, more than twenty laboratories have been in operation with advanced equipment worth of 35,000,000 yuan. By April, 2019 About 70 research projects have been in progress with fund of 180,000,000 yuan, supported by national natural science foundation of China, innovation team of Guangdong Province, key national plans for development and research, key laboratories of Shenzhen, Peacock Team of Shenzhen and other local authorities, enterprises and organizations. The department is also devoted to promoting its academic efforts and achievements: 124 articles have been published in international academic journals. In addition, 43 patents for invention are applied including 8 issued patents and 11 utility model patents.
The department has two majors for undergraduates: mechanical engineering and robotics engineering. During 2018, 4 graduates were awarded with Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering. The number of current undergraduates are 82 in total. Our teaching model emphasizes inter-discipline studies in liberate art and science as well as mathematics and science, enabling students to think and work in the mind of mechanical engineer, to pursue post-graduate studies, to participate in innovative products development, fundamental research, research and development in new materials and technologies and engineering management for research institutes and relevant work in public and governmental organizations.
Four batch of postgraduates, 172 in total, have been in the majors including intelligent manufacturing, forming and 3D printing, precision machining technology, robotics and automation and energy engineering. So far 34 master students have graduated with interdisciplinary backgrounds, global outlooks, leaderships and creativity, 12 of whom are admitted to doctor programs in Purdue University, Harbin Institute of Technology, The University of Hong Kong, The University of Queensland and so on. Others have got employment opportunities in Hua Wei, ZTE, Mindray, FAW, SAIC Motor and so on.
The department encourages international cooperation with other universities and enterprises at hone and abroad to offer students global outlook and opportunities for internships and for their advanced studies. The partners include the top universities in Hong Kong, Canada, America, England, Japan, Singapore and so on and giant corporations such as Dajiang, Huawei,Timken and Honeywell.
The department has been in progress to excellent academy, teaching and inter-disciplinary researching over the world and will be an engine for development of The Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Great Bay Area and will establish itself as a desirable ground for innovative and Leading talent to conduct inter-disciplinary researches for social progress.