Associate Professor Center for the Social Sciences
Dr. Raymond Yu Wang is an associate professor at the Center for Social Sciences, Southern University of Science and Technology. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Geography from Beijing Normal University (2007), an MPhil in Natural Resources Management from Renmin University of China (2009), and a Ph.D. in Geography from the University of Hong Kong (2014). Prior to joining SUSTech, he was an associate professor in the School of Government, Sun Yat-sen University and a post-doctoral fellow in the Faculty of Social Sciences, The University of Hong Kong. Working from the perspectives of political geography and political ecology, Dr. Wang’s work focuses on the political processes, institutional dynamics and social relationships in natural resources and environmental governance, with a particular interest in water issues such as irrigation institutions, urban and regional water conflicts and transboundary waters. Dr. Wang has successfully obtained funding from external sources such as the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), the Ministry of Education and the Natural Science Foundation of Guangdong Province. His publications have appeared in reputable journals such as Regulation & Governance, The China Quarterly, Journal of Contemporary China, Ecology & Society, Land Use Policy. He has also served in the editorial boards of Water Alternatives, International Journal of Water Resources Development and several academic organizations such as the Political Geography and Geo-relations Committee of the Geographical Society of China, the Chinese Association for Administrative Division and Regional Development Promotion, the Environmental Sociology Committee of the Sociological Society of China, and the Center for Chinese Geo-relational Research.
- 2009 - 2014, The University of Hong Kong, Ph.D. in Human Geography
- 2007 - 2009, Renmin University of China, M.Phil. in Natural Resources Management
- 2003 - 2007，Beijing Normal University, B.Sc. in Geography
- 2020 - present, Center for Social Sciences, Southern University of Science and Technology, Associate Professor
- 2016-2020, School of Government, Sun Yat-sen University, Associate Professor
- 2014-2016, Faculty of Social Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Post-doctoral Fellow
- Political Geography; Political Ecology; Water Governance; Environmental Politics; Common-pool resources
Professional services and outreach
- Water Alternatives, Editorial Board Member
- International Journal of Water Resources Development, Editorial Board Member
- Political Geography and Geo-relations Committee, Geographical Society of China, Committee Member
- Chinese Association for Administrative Division and Regional Development Promotion, Committee Member
- Environmental Sociology Committee, Sociological Society of China, Committee Member
- Center for Chinese Public Administration Research, Ministry of Education, Research Fellow
- Center for Chinese Geo-relational Research, Beijing Normal University, Research Fellow
- Guangzhou Institute of Urban Innovation, Vice-director
Foundation of Sustainable Development
Environmental Policy and Governance
Urbanization in China
Publications Read More
Lab members Read More
Postdoctoral positions on water governance at Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech), China
Applicants are invited for two Postdoctoral positions at the Center for Social Sciences, Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech), China. SUSTech is a public university, founded in the lush hills of Nanshan District, Shenzhen, China, in 2010. SUSTech seeks to become an international high-level research university that gathers first-class faculty and nurtures top-notch innovative talents. In ten years, it has become one of the top 10 mainland Chinese universities according to the Times Higher Education and QS World University Rankings 2022. (https://www.sustech.edu.cn/en/).
The postdoctoral researchers will work under the supervision of Dr. Raymond Yu Wang and are expected to carry out research on rural, urban and/or transboundary water governance issues with a geographical focus on China and Southeast Asia.
- To carry out independent research and write up high quality academic papers.
- To support the PI in developing new research projects and writing proposals.
- To assist the PI in conducting fieldwork, organizing conferences, writing up policy briefs for consultancy projects, and providing academic support for PhD students.
- The candidate must possess a PhD in a relevant discipline of social sciences, including but not limited to political science, public policy, sociology, human geography, anthropology, etc.
- The applicant must be in possession of a PhD at the time of enrollment but for no more than three years.
- Track record of high-quality publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Ability to communicate and work well with academics and practitioners
We will offer a full-time appointment for a period of 2 years. The annual salary will be RMB 330,000 (approximately USD 51,000), in addition to housing subsidies and research grants.
Candidates should contact Dr. Raymond Yu Wang via firstname.lastname@example.org and include (1) an updated CV; (2) a statement of interest; (3) a research proposal or agenda. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.