Chair Professor Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Dr. Xiao Wei Sun is presently a Chair Professor in the Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China. Before joining Southern University of Science and Technology, he had been working at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore as a Full Professor. He was the Director of Microelectronics Center at Nanyang Technological University. He was awarded the Nanyang Award for Research and Innovation in 2009, the 1000 Talent Award by the Chinese Government in 2012, and the Jacques Beaulieu Excellence Research Chair of INRS (Institut national de la recherchescientifique), Quebec, Canada in 2013. He is an Academician of the Asia-Pacific Academy of Materials. He is the fellow of several academic societies including Society for Information Display (SID), Optical Society of America (OSA), SPIE, and Institute of Physics (IoP, UK). He is a Distinguished Lecturer of IEEE Nanotechnology Council and Chair of the IEEE Nanotechnology Council Guangdong Chapter. He is the founder and President of the Society for Energy Photonics, a non-profitable organization promoting photonics technologies to solve energy crisis and combat global warming and climate change. His main research presently is on semiconductor nanocrystals for power-saving high-quality displays and lighting. Professor Sun has authored over 500 peer-reviewed journal publications, and delivered numerous invited talks. His H-index is 71.
Sep. 1986-Jul. 1990 BEng, Photonics, Tianjin University
Sep.1990-Jul. 1992 MEng, Optical Instrumention, Tianjin University
Sep.1994-Dec.1998 Ph.D., Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Jan.2016-Present, Executive Dean & Chair Professor Southern University of Science and Technology, China
Jan.2013-Mar. 2014, Head & Chair Professor Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology, China
Sep.2011-Dec.2015, Professor School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Oct. 2005-Aug.2011, Associate Professor(Tenure) School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Dec. 1998-Oct.2005, Assistant Professor School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Awards & Honors
2018/2019 IEEE Nano Technology Council Distinguished Lecturer
2017 OSA Fellow
2013 APAM Academician
2013 Jacques-Beaulieu Excellent Research Chair
2012 SUSTech Distinguished Scholar
2011 Society for Information Display Fellow (SID Fellow)
2011 Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers Fellow (SPIE Fellow)
2009 Institute of Physics Fellow(IOP Fellow)
2009 Nanyang Awards for Research and Innovations
- X. Zhou, J. Wenger, F. N. Viscomi, L. Le Cunff, J. Beal, S. Kochtcheev, X. Yang, G. P. Wiederrecht, G. C. des Francs, A. S. Bisht, S. Jradi, R. Caputo, H. V. Demir, R. D. Schaller, J. Plain, A. Vial, X. W. Sun*, and R. Bachelot, "Two-Color Single Hybrid Plasmonic Nanoemitters with Real Time Switchable Dominant Emission Wavelength," Nano Letters, vol. 15, pp. 7458-7466, 2015.
- Y. Zhao, S. T. Tan, H. V. Demir, and X. W. Sun*, "Highly stable and high power efficiency tandem organic light-emitting diodes with transition metal oxide-based charge generation layers," Organic Electronics, vol. 23, pp. 70-75, 2015.
- Y. Gao, T. Van Duong, X. Zhao, Y. Wang, R. Chen, E. Mutlugun, K. E. Fong, S. T. Tan, C. Dang, X. W. Sun*, H. Sun, and H. V. Demir, "Observation of polarized gain from aligned colloidal nanorods," Nanoscale, vol. 7, pp. 6481-6486, 2015.
- X. Yang, E. Mutlugun, Y. Zhao, Y. Gao, K. S. Leck, Y. Ma, L. Ke, S. T. Tan, H. V. Demir, and X. W. Sun, "Solution Processed Tungsten Oxide Interfacial Layer for Efficient Hole-Injection in Quantum Dot Light-Emitting Diodes," Small, vol. 10, pp. 247-252, 2014.
- X. Yang, K. Dev, J. Wang, E. Mutlugun, C. Dang, Y. Zhao, S. Liu, Y. Tang, S. T. Tan, X. W. Sun*, and H. V. Demir, "Light Extraction Efficiency Enhancement of Colloidal Quantum Dot Light-Emitting Diodes Using Large-Scale Nanopillar Arrays," Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 24, pp. 5977-5984, 2014.
- J. Wang, L. Zhang, L. Yu, Z. Jiao, H. Xie, X. W. Lou, and X. W. Sun*, "A bi-functional device for self-powered electrochromic window and self-rechargeable transparent battery applications," Nature Communications, vol. 5, 2014.
- X. Yang, Y. Tang, S. T. Tan, M. Bosman, Z. Dong, K. S. Leck, Y. Ji, H. V. Demir, and X. W. Sun, "Facile Synthesis of Luminescent AgInS2–ZnS Solid Solution Nanorods," Small, vol. 9, pp. 2689-2695, 2013.
- X. Yang, D. Zhao, K. S. Leck, S. T. Tan, Y. X. Tang, J. Zhao, H. V. Demir, and X. W. Sun*, "Full Visible Range Covering InP/ZnS Nanocrystals with High Photometric Performance and Their Application to White Quantum Dot Light-Emitting Diodes," Advanced Materials, vol. 24, pp. 4180-4185, 2012.
- S. W. Liu, Y. Divayana, X. W. Sun*, Y. Wang, K. S. Leck, and H. V. Demir, "Improved performance of organic light-emitting diodes with MoO3 interlayer by oblique angle deposition," Optics Express, vol. 19, pp. 4513-4520, 2011.
- T. Erdem, S. Nizamoglu, X. W. Sun*, and H. V. Demir, "A photometric investigation of ultra-efficient LEDs with high color rendering index and high luminous efficacy employing nanocrystal quantum dot luminophores," Optics Express, vol. 18, pp. 340-347, 2010.
- J. Dai, C. X. Xu, and X. W. Sun*, "ZnO-Microrod/p-GaN Heterostructured Whispering-Gallery-Mode Microlaser Diodes," Advanced Materials, vol. 23, pp. 4115-+, 2011.
- R. Chen, B. Ling, X. W. Sun*, and H. D. Sun, "Room Temperature Excitonic Whispering Gallery Mode Lasing from High-Quality Hexagonal ZnO Microdisks," Advanced Materials, vol. 23, pp. 2199-+, 2011.
- X. W. Sun*, J. Z. Huang, J. X. Wang, and Z. Xu, "A ZnO nanorod inorganic/organic heterostructure light-emitting diode emitting at 342 nm," Nano Letters, vol. 8, pp. 1219-1223, 2008.
Wide bandgap semiconductor materials and devices, organic electronics, electronic display technologies.