Assistant Professor Department of Earth and Space Sciences
Jiangjun Ran obtained his doctoral degree from Delft University of Technology in 2017. Then he moved to Hong Kong and worked at Chinese University of Hong Kong as a postdoctoral fellow. From Dec. 2018, he has been working at Southern University of Science and Technology as an assistant professor. His research interests are space Geodesy, satellite gravimetry, Earth's surface mass transportation, temporal and static gravity field determination using GRACE and GRACE-FO data, etc. By far, he has published around 20 SCI papers in high-ranking journals, including The Cryosphere, Journal of Geodesy, Geophysical Journal International，Journal of Geodynamics, Remote Sensing, Marine Geophysical Research, etc. Furthermore, he serves as a reviewer of Journal of Geodesy，Remote Sensing of Environment, etc.
• 2011-2017, PhD in satellite gravimetry, Delft University of Technology
• 2008-2014, PhD in space Geodesy, the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
• 2004-2008, Bachelor in Surveying and Mapping Engineering, Southwest Jiaotong University
• 2018.12 - Present Assistant Professor, Southern University of Science and Technology
• 2017.08 - 2018.12 Guest researcher, Delft University of Technology
• 2018.02 - 2018.10 Postdoctoral Fellow, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
• 2011.11 - 2017.07 Research Assistant, Delft University of Technology
Polar ice sheet mass balance
High precision time-varying earth gravity field model inversion（GRACE, GRACE-FO）
Global mass transportation
Design of next generation gravity satellite mission constellation
Unmanned aerial vehicle (uav) photogrammetry remote sensing
Fundamentals of Space Geodesy (Junior year, Course Code: ESS303)
Space geodesy, which uses natural or man-made celestial bodies to accurately determine the position of points, determine the shape, size, external gravitational field of the earth, and how they change over time, is now taught to senior undergraduates.
Gravity and Solid Earth Tide (Course Code: ESS421)
This course introduces the basic knowledge and contents of the earth's gravity field, the shape of the earth, the large position of the earth, the forward inversion of the gravity anomaly field and the earth tides. This course is for undergraduate and graduate students in geophysics.
Modern Geodesy (Course Code: ESS5056)
Main contents: Global positioning system, satellite gravity, satellite altimetry, synthetic aperture radar interferometry theory and its application in geoscience.
Publications Read More
Space Geodesy Seminar held2019-10-28
Conference announcements - Workshop about space geodesy and global change2019-10-28
Professor liao mingsheng from the state key laboratory of remote sensing information engineering of wuhan university came to the research group to give an academic report2019-10-28
Lab members Read More
I. recruitment requirements:
Due to the needs of work, the research group will recruit 2 postdoctoral students in geoscience, remote sensing, geodesy, GNSS or geophysics. The term of employment will be two years, which can be extended according to the degree of satisfaction.
Has obtained or is about to obtain a doctoral degree in geodesy, geophysics or related fields; Solid geodetic or geophysical foundation and computer programming ability; Good ability to read and write English scientific papers; Those who have published high-level research papers are preferred; After employment, I worked full-time in the southern university of science and technology.
1. The postdoctoral annual salary is about 335,000 yuan, including 150,000 yuan (pre-tax) subsidy from Guangdong province and 60,000 yuan (after-tax) subsidy from Shenzhen, and participating in social insurance and housing fund according to relevant regulations of Shenzhen. Postdoctoral welfare shall be paid according to the standard of faculty and staff in the posts of the university.
2, The special outstanding person can apply for the President of the outstanding postdoctoral, annual salary up to 415,000 yuan. (including subsidies from Guangdong province and Shenzhen city).
3. The research group provides an excellent working environment and opportunities for cooperation and exchange at home and abroad, and the postdoctoral students can enjoy a total of 25,000 yuan of academic exchange funds for two years.
4. The research group shall provide adequate scientific research support and assist the postdoctoral fellow to apply for the China postdoctoral science foundation, the national natural science foundation, and the scientific research projects at all levels in Guangdong province and Shenzhen.
5. The research group can assist eligible postdocs to apply for the "overseas young postdoctoral program of Guangdong province".In the world's top 200 universities (excluding, ranking above a year of The Times, USNEWS, QS world university rankings, and Shanghai Jiaotong University), Ph.D., postdoctoral units engaged in postdoctoral research station to be established in the southern province of Guangdong, and promised to stand more than 2 years of postdoctoral, after the application is successful provincial finance gives each postdoctoral researcher to fund 600000 yuan allowance; For postdocs who have obtained the project subsidy, signed the work agreement or labor contract with Guangdong provincial employers after going out of the station and promised to work in Guangdong for more than 3 years continuously, the provincial finance will give each of them a housing subsidy of 400,000 yuan.
6, postdoctoral station to choose to stay deeply engaged in scientific research work, and with this city enterprises and institutions signed more than 3 years of labor (employment) contracts, can apply for Shenzhen postdoctoral stay deep to deep research funding. The Shenzhen municipal government grants 100,000 yuan per person per year for three years.
7. For postdocs who meet the relevant policy requirements of the latest "rent and living subsidy for newly introduced talents in Shenzhen", after settling down in Shenzhen, they can assist to apply for one-off rent and living subsidy of 30,000 yuan in Shenzhen (tax exemption, independent online application).
8. According to the conditions that they meet, they can apply for "class C talent of Shenzhen peacock plan" or "reserve talent of Shenzhen city" after staying in or out of the station, and enjoy the bonus and allowance of 1.6 million yuan (tax exemption) for 5 years (subject to the latest declaration requirements of relevant talents of Shenzhen city).
9. For outstanding outbound postdocs, I will actively recommend and assist them to apply for the post of research assistant professor in the southern university of science and technology.
Iii. Application method:
Please send your resume (including educational background, research experience, papers published, names and contact information of three referees) and a research statement (in English, no more than one page) to email@example.com with the subject line: postdoctoral candidate - name.
1) master degree obtained or about to be obtained;
2) relevant professional background, including (but not limited to) remote sensing science and technology, surveying and mapping engineering, geodesy, satellite gravity, etc.
Excellent undergraduate with relevant professional background, including (but not limited to): remote sensing science and technology, surveying and mapping engineering, geodesy, satellite gravity, etc.