Tenured Full Professor Department of Chemistry, Grubbs Institute
Dr. (Oscar) Lung Wa Chung received his B.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees under the supervision of Prof. Yun-Dong Wu at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) in 2000 and 2006, respectively. He studies the reaction mechanism of (noble and main-group) metal-catalyzed organic reactions. He then joined a new group of Prof. Keiji Morokuma at Fukui Institute for Fundamental Chemistry (FIFC), Kyoto University, as a postdoctoral fellow. He applied and developed multi-scale methods to study complex biological systems. He sadly gave up a postdoctoral offer from Prof. Martin Karplus in 2012, since he started an independent position in 2013. In 2013, he started his independent position as tenure-track Assistant Professor at Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech). He was promoted to (early promotion) tenure-track Associate Professor in 2018 (Feb) and tenured Full Professor in 2021 (Jul). He is very proud to follow four of the best computational chemistry families. He published 83 papers (e.g. 1*Chem. Rev., 2*Acc. Chem. Res., 20*J. Am. Chem. Soc., 5*Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 4*Nat. Commun., 6*Chem. Sci., 5*ACS Catal., 4*J. Phys. Chem., 5*J. Chem. Theory Comput., 5*Org. Lett., 3*Chem. Commun., 1*Inorg. Chem.) as well as 3 Wiley book chapters. His Web of Science citations (~3800; >3600 citations excluding self-citations), H-index: 35.
Dr. Oscar Lung Wa Chung currently works at the Department of Chemistry, Southern University of Science and Technology. Our group carry out research in Multi-Scale Simulations of Complex Homogeneous Catalysis (thermal and photo-induced) and Biocatalysis.
1. 2006 Ph.D. in Chemistry, The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology (Supervisor: Prof. Yun-Dong Wu).
Thesis: “Computational Studies of the Reaction Mechanisms and Stereochemistry of Metal-Mediated Organic Reactions”
2. 2003 M. Phil. in Chemistry, The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology (Supervisor: Prof. Yun-Dong Wu).
Thesis: “Theoretical Studies on Organometallic Reaction in Water and Mechanism and Stereochemistry of Hydrosilylation and Hydroacylation Reactions”
3. 2000 B. Sc. in Chemistry (1st Hon.), The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology. (GGA: A)
1. 2021 Jul-present Researcher/Full Professor (with tenure), Department of Chemistry, Southern University of Science and Technology
2. 2018 Feb-2021 Jun Researcher/Associate Professor (tenure-track), Department of Chemistry, Southern University of Science and Technology (early promotion)
3. 2013 Oct-2018 Jan Associate Researcher/Assistant Professor (tenure-track), Department of Chemistry, Southern University of Science and Technology
4. 2006-2013 Postdoctoral Fellow, Fukui Institute for Fundamental Chemistry, Kyoto University (Advisor: Prof. Keiji Morokuma)
5. June-July 1999 Research Assistant, Department of Chemistry, The University of Hong Kong (Supervisor: Dr. Tao Ye)
1. 2014 Overseas High-Caliber Personnel from Shenzhen: Peacock Plan Awardee
2. 2006-2010 Fukui Fellowship
3. M.Phil. & Ph.D. Postgraduate Studentship
4. 2000 The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Academic Achievement Medal Swire University Scholarship
5. 1997-2000 Swire University Scholarship
6. 1997-2000 Dean's List
(Fall & Spring)
Serving as a Reviewer:
Nature Chemistry, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Nature Communications, ACS Catal., Chemical Science, Coord. Chem. Rev., Journal of Materials Chemistry A, Green Chemistry, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, Organic Letters, Chem. Commun., Current Opinion in Structural Biology, Journal of Catalysis, Journal of Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Journal of Computational Chemistry, ChemCatChem, Organic Chemistry Frontiers, Journal of Physical Chemistry, European Journal of Organic Chemistry, Frontier in Chemistry, Organometallics, Asian Journal of Organic Chemistry, Applied Organometallic Chemistry, Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, Theoretical Chemistry Accounts, Journal of Physical Organic Chemistry, Journal of Molecular Graphics and Modelling, Molecular Informatics, Chemical Physics, 《化学学报》
Swiss National Science Foundation, National Natural Science Foundation of China (Fostering Program of the Major Research Plan, General Program, Regional Program and Youth Program)
Review Panelist: National Natural Science Foundation of China (General Program)
His research interests focus on multi-scale simulations of complex homogeneous catalysis on chemical, and biochemical systems, including sustainable/bio-inspired catalysis, biocatalysis, and development of multi-scale simulation methods. Some of our proposed new mechanisms were supported or verified by experiments. Two of our proposed mechanisms can be collected and discussed in 《Organotransition Metal Chemistry》textbook and 《Encyclopedia of Biophysics》.
General Chemistry A (4-credits, Fall Semester)
Bioinorganic Chemistry (2-credits, Spring Semester)
Computational Chemistry (3-credits, partly in 2013 Spring Semester)
化学前沿研究 (UG seminar)
Publications Read More
Lab members Read More
Tel. No. 0755-88018320