Associate Professor Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering
Dr Yu Liu received his BSc and MSc from Beihang University, and PhD from the University of Cambridge. Prior to joining the Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering at SUSTech in 2016, he was a Research Associate at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the University of Cambridge, and then an Assistant Professor in Aerospace Engineering at the University of Surrey. Dr Liu serves as the Director of the “Advanced Aerodynamics and Aeroacoustics Laboratory” (A3 Lab) since 2017, and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs of Zhicheng College, SUSTech since 2019.
Dr Liu was awarded the Gates Cambridge Scholarship and the Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Students Abroad. He was elected to the Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA, UK) and Senior Member of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) in 2014, and the Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS, UK) in 2020. He is also a recipient of the Overseas High-Calibre Personnel of Shenzhen (Peacock Program) in 2017 and the Young Elite of Science and Technology Innovation, Special Support Program of Guangdong in 2020.
- 2004 – 2008 PhD in Aeronautical Engineering, University of Cambridge
- 2001 – 2004 MSc in Aerospace Engineering, Beihang University
- 1997 – 2001 BSc in Aerospace Engineering, Beihang University
- 11/2016 – Present Associate Professor, Southern University of Science and Technology
- 10/2012 – 09/2016 Assistant Professor in Aerospace Engineering, University of Surrey
- 11/2009 – 09/2012 Research Associate, University of Cambridge
- 09/2008 – 02/2009 Research Associate, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Honors & Awards
- 2020 Teaching Excellence Award of SUSTech
- 2020 Excellent College Mentor of SUSTech
- 2020 Two Best Student Papers, The 11th National Congress on Fluid Mechanics of China
- 2019 Young Elite of Science and Technology Innovation, Special Support Program of Guangdong
- 2018 Pilot High-Level Talent, Nanshan District, Shenzhen
- 2017 Peakcock Program of Overseas High-Calibre Personnel, Shenzhen
- 2016 Best Student Paper Finalist, The 23rd International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV)
- 2008 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Students Abroad
- 2004 – 2008 Gates Cambridge Scholarship (GCS)
- 2004 – 2007 Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS)
- 10/2020 – Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), US
- 06/2020 – Fellow, Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS), UK
- 08/2014 – Senior Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), US
- 12/2014 – Fellow, Higher Education Academy (HEA), UK
- 11/2020 – Board Member, Guangdong Provincial Aeronautical Society, China
- 10/2020 – Committee Member, Division of Industrial Fluid Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics Committee, Chinese Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics
- 08/2019 – Committee Member, Aerodynamics Technology Committee of Aero-Engine Internal Flow, Chinese Society of Aerospace Propulsion Technology
Professional and Academic Services
- 02/2021 – Associate Editor, Journal of Vibration and Control (Impact Factor: 2.169, JCR Q2 in Acoustics/Mechanics/Mechanical Engineering)
- 08/2020 – Guest Editor, Journal of Aerospace Engineering (Impact Factor: 1.761, JCR Q2 in Aerospace Engineering)
Peer review for journals and conferences (~30)
- 04/2011 – Present, Currently 15–20 manuscripts per year
- AIAA J, J Sound Vib, J Fluid Mech, J Acoust Soc Am, J Propul Power, Aerosp Sci Technol, Compos Struct, etc.
- AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference, ASME Turbo Expo
Peer review for funding agencies
- 05/2019 – National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC)
- 01/2017 Junior Research Fellowship, Churchill College, University of Cambridge
- 02/2016 Technology Foundation STW (The Netherlands)
- 10/2015 Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC, UK)
Aeroacoustics: passive/active flow and noise control, airfoil (stall) noise, low-noise rotors and fans, combustion noise, surface roughness noise
Aerodynamic and acoustic testing: phased microphone array design, deep learning acoustic imaging, aeroacoustic wind tunnel
Vibroacoustics: sound insulation of sandwich structures, acoustic meta-surfaces
Course leader: Fluid Mechanics Lab (UG Y3), Jet Propulsion (UG Y3), Aeroacoustics (Graduate, UG Y4)
Course participant: Introduction to Aerospace and Mechanics (UG Y1/Y2), Frontier Seminars on Mechanics (Graduate)
Publications Read More
Lab members Read More
We have various openings in the “Advanced Aerodynamics and Aeroacoustics Laboratory” (A3 lab) for postdoctoral researchers, research assistants, visiting scholars/postgraduates, and PhD programs with internationally competitive salary. Students and researchers interested in aeroacoustics and flow/noise control (with background in fluid, acoustics, mechanics, etc.) are encouraged to get in touch and join our lab. Please send a cover letter explaining your qualifications and research plan for the position, a CV with a list of publications, and the contact details of two referees to the email: email@example.com.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Applicants should be of outstanding quality and exceptionally motivated, and should have
- a PhD degree in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering, Acoustics, Mechanics or a closely related discipline;
- strong and demonstrated experience in aeroacoustics, flow/noise control or related fields;
- good publications in peer-reviewed top journals;
- preferably practical experience of aerodynamic and acoustic testing systems (e.g. wind tunnel, anechoic chamber) as well as CFD simulations.
Salary and benefits
- The positions are for two years initially, renewable depending on funding availability;
- Annual salary ~ 335k RMB (~ £38k or $47k), including housing & dining stipends and festival bonus, plus contributions to superannuation, medical insurance, etc.;
- Outstanding candidates can apply for the Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship with annual salary of 415k RMB (~ £47k or $58k);
- A travel grant of 25,000 RMB in two years for attending academic conferences and workshops, etc.
SUSTech Presidential PhD Fellowships
SUSTech offers the Presidential PhD Fellowship to full-time PhD students with excellent research potential. This prestigious Fellowship provides an annual stipend of RMB 100,000 for a maximum period of 4 years.
- Applicants should be of outstanding quality and exceptionally motivated, and should have
- Applicants must possess a Master’s degree.
- Applicants should have graduated from a leading university in a country/region, and have demonstrated outstanding potential for research excellence.
- Communication and interpersonal skills as well as leadership abilities are also important criteria for the selection of Fellowship recipients.
- English language requirements: TOEFL 80 or above; or IELTS 6.0 overall or above, with no sub-scores lower than 5.5.
Please refer to the Admission to the PhD programmes at the Graduate School for more information on tuition and accommodation fees, how to apply, evaluation and admission, and visa application and registration.