Solar Energy Conversion and Utilization Laboratory Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering
Solar Energy Conversion and Utilization Laboratory (SECUL) focuses on the engineering of high-performance solar conversion materials, devices, and systems to fulfill industrial-scale needs for electricity, heat, fuels, or a combination thereof. The fundamental research of SECUL includes: i) understanding the coupled multi-physics in thermal/thermochemical/(photo)electrochemical conversion devices based on advanced simulation techniques; ii) optimization, design, and control strategies development for solar conversion systems with applications in solar fuel processing, energy storage, and CO2 capture; iii) advanced characterization equipment innovation allowing for components’ chemical and transport properties quantification and device and system performance measurement.
Dr. Lin is an assistant professor at the Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology. He received his bachelor degree in Energy and Power Engineering from the University of Shanghai for Science and Technology (USST) in 2010 and master degree in Mechanical Engineering at Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) in 2013. Later, he got his PhD at Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne in 2018. Between 2018 and 2019, Dr. Lin was a postdoctoral researcher at the Joint Center of Artificial Photosynthesis (JCAP) and the Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Division of the California Institute of Technology (CALTECH). He has published over 10 peer-reviewed journal articles as well as 1 international patent. He has been invited for over 10 international conferences talks. He acted as the session chair (Solar Chemistry) for ASME Energy Sustainability Conference in year 2018 and 2019. Dr. Lin has served as reviewers for various international journals and entitled as excellent reviewer of Solar Energy for twice.
◆2019.10 – Now Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology.
◆2018.5 – 2019.9 Postdoctoral Researcher Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering，California Institute of Technology
◆2013.4 – 2013.8 Research Associate School of Mechnical Engineering, Shanghai Jiaotong University
◆2011.12 – 2012.6 Visiting Scholar North Dakota State University Mechanical Engineering
◆2013-2018 PhD Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne
◆2010-2013 Master Shanghai Jiaotong University
◆2006-2010 Bachelor University of Shanghai for Science and Technology
Awards & Honors:
◆2018 ASME graduate student award by Solar Energy Division
◆2018 Outstanding Reviewer Award-Solar Energy
◆2017 Early Postdoc. Mobility fellowship by Swiss National Science Foundation
◆2016 Outstanding Master Thesis Award by Shanghai municipality
◆2015 Outstanding Reviewer Award-Solar Energy
◆2013 Outstanding Graduate of Shanghai Jiao Tong University, SJTU
◆2012 National Scholarship for Graduates, Ministry of Education
◆2010 Shanghai Outstanding Graduates, Shanghai, 2010.5.
1. High temperature solar thermal chemical fuel synthesis technology;
2. Solar driven high temperature electrochemical hydrogen production reactor;
3. (Photo) electrochemical hydrogen production, carbon dioxide reduction, ammonia synthesis technology;
4. Design of a new solar concentrating photothermal system;
5. High temperature phase change energy storage system;
Course: Solar Thermal Utilization Technologies (2020 Spring)； New Energy Systems (2020 Fall)
Publications Read More
Lab members Read More
Research scope of SECUL:
1. High temperature solar thermochemical fuel synthesis technology;
2. Solar driven high temperature electrochemical hydrogen production techniques;
3. (Photo)electrochemical hydrogen production, carbon dioxide reduction, ammonia synthesis technology;
4. Design of novel solar concentrating photothermal systems;
5. High temperature phase change energy storage system.
Position 1: Postdoctoral researcher (High temperature solar energy conversion）
1. PhD in heat and mass transfer or Engineering thermodynamics (or related areas)；
2. Applicants with experience in solar energy conversion and utilization are preferred；
3. Applicants with experience in operating high flux solar simulator are preferred;
4. Familiar with multiphysics and multiscale simulation techniques will be considered as an advantage;
5. Experience with technical report writing are preferred;
6. Applicants need to have the spirit of teamwork.
Position 2: Postdoctoral researcher（Electrochemical energy storage device driven by solar energy）
1. Ph.D. in electrochemistry is required and especially welcome applicants with high- temperature solid oxide cell background;
2. Familiar with the preparation and assembly of electrode materials and electrochemical battery testing;
3. Familiar with multiphysics simulation of fuel cell or electrolyzer;
4. Experience with technical report writing are preferred;
5. Applicants need to have the spirit of teamwork.
SUSTech offers competitive salary for postdoctoral researchers. Please send your CV to Dr. Meng Lin (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details if you are interested.
Position 3. PhD student (Solar energy conversion and utilization)
If you are interested in the research topics related to solar energy conversion for fuel, power, and materials production, you are welcomed to discuss opportunities with Dr. Lin in conducting PhD studies at SECUL. Please email your CV directly to Dr. Meng Lin (email@example.com).