Research Scientist Department of Biomedical Engineering
Li Kai, a research scientist in the Department of Biomedical Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology,who was Selected in the National Special Expert Youth Project and the Imaging Materials Branch of the Chinese Society of Biomaterials. The main research directions are the development of new molecular probes and nanoprobes and their applications in biomedicine. Dr. Lee received his Ph. D. degree from National University of Singapore in 2011. He systematically studied the application of conjugated polymers and aggregated induced luminescent nanoparticles as novel fluorescent probes in stem cell tracing and cancer diagnosis and treatment, and won the National Outstanding Student Scholarship at his own expense. Later, he joined the Institute of Materials and Engineering of the Singapore Bureau of Science and Technology Research as a research scientist and was awarded Career Development Award of the Singapore Bureau of Science and Technology Research in 2013. From 2015 to 2017, he joined the Molecular Imaging Center of Stanford University Medical College as a visiting scholar for collaborative research. The AIE fluorescent nanoparticles and cell tracers developed have been reported by Nature magazine on the topic of "The nanolight revolution is coming". So far, four PCT patents have been applied for, one Singapore patent has been authorized, and more than 7,000 academic papers have been cited. At present, the H-index is 45, presiding over the project 1 on the National Natural Science Foundation. Item.
Li Kai, a research scientist in the Department of Biomedical Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology, was Selected in the National Special Expert Youth Project and the Imaging Materials Branch of the Chinese Society of Biomaterials. The main research directions are the development of new molecular probes and nanoprobes and their applications in biomedicine. Dr. Lee received his Ph. D. degree from National University of Singapore in 2011. He systematically studied the application of conjugated polymers and aggregated induced luminescent nanoparticles as novel fluorescent probes in stem cell tracing and cancer diagnosis and treatment, and won the National Outstanding Student Scholarship at his own expense. Later, he joined the Institute of Materials and Engineering of the Singapore Bureau of Science and Technology Research as a research scientist and was awarded Career Development Award of the Singapore Bureau of Science and Technology Research in 2013. From 2015 to 2017, he joined the Molecular Imaging Center of Stanford University Medical College as a visiting scholar for collaborative research. The AIE fluorescent nanoparticles and cell tracers developed have been reported by Nature magazine on the topic of "The nanolight revolution is coming". So far, four PCT patents have been applied for, one Singapore patent has been authorized, and more than7,000 academic papers have been cited. At present, the H-index is 45, presiding over the project 1 on the National Natural Science Foundation. Item.
2011.07-present Scientist, PI Institute of Materials Research & Engineering, A*STAR, Singapore
2015.08-2017.07 Visiting Scholar Molecular Imaging Program at Stanford, Stanford University, United States
2006.07-2007.12 Technician SK Energy, Beijing Representative Office, China
2011 Ph.D., Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore
2006 M.E., Department of Polymer Engineering Chungnam National University (CNU), Korea
2003 B.E., Department of Polymer Science and Engineering Beijing University of Chemical Technology (BUCT), China
Awards and Honors
2019 Shenzhen Overseas High-level Talents B, Guangdong Excellent Talents and Nanshan Pilot Talents
2018 National Special Expert Youth Project
2016 World Molecular Imaging Congress (WMIC) 2016 Travel Award
2016 Finalist, World Molecular Imaging Congress (WMIC) 2016 Best Poster Award
2015 A*STAR International Fellowship
2013 2nd JCO Career Development Award (CDA), JCO, A*STAR
2011 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad (2010)
2008-2011 President’s Graduate Fellowship (NUS)
2004-2006 Korea Science and Engineering Foundation (KOSEF) Scholarship for Foreign Students
2003 Outstanding University Graduate Award (Beijing)
2003 Outstanding Undergraduate Thesis Award (BUCT)
2000,2001 Champion of soccer league (School of Materials Science and Engineering, BUCT)
1999-2003 People’s Scholarship Award (7 times, BUCT)
- Guang Yang,[a,+] Jen-Shyang Ni,[a,+] Yaxi Li,[a] Menglei Zha,[a] Yao Tu,[a] and Kai Li*[a]. Acceptor Engineering for Optimized ROS Generation Facilitates Reprogramming Macrophages to M1 Phenotype in Photodynamic Immunotherapy. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, doi: 10.1002/anie.202013228.
- Zonghai Sheng, Yaxi Li, Dehong Hu, Tianliang Min, Duyang Gao, Jen-Shyang Ni, Pengfei Zhang, Yuenan Wang, Xin Liu, Kai Li,* Hairong Zheng,* Ben Zhong Tang.* Centimeter-deep NIR-II fluorescence imaging with nontoxic AIE probes in non-human primates. Research 2020, Accepted (Article ID 4074593).
- Menglei Zha,† Xiangwei Lin,† Jen-Shyang Ni,†,* Yaxi Li, Yachao Zhang, Xun Zhang, Lidai Wang,* Kai Li.* An ester-substituted semiconducting polymer with efficient nonradiative decay enhances NIR-II photoacoustic performance for monitoring of tumor growth. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, doi: 10.1002/anie.202010228 (†contributed equally).
- Yaxi Li,† Dehong Hu,† Zonghai Sheng, Tianliang Min, Menglei Zha, Jen-Shyang Ni, Hairong Zheng,* Kai Li.* Self-assembled AIEgen nanoparticles for multiscale NIR-II vascular imaging. Biomaterials 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2020.120365 (†contributed equally).
- Xuanyu Li,† Menglei Zha,† Yaxi Li, Jen-Shyang Ni, Tianliang Min, Tianyi Kang, Guang Yang, Hao Tang, Kai Li,* Xingyu Jiang.* Sub-10 nm aggregation-induced emission quantum dots assembled by microfluidics for enhanced tumor-targeting and reduced retention in the liver. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, doi: 10.1002/anie.202008564 (†contributed equally).
- Jen-Shyang Ni,† Xun Zhang,† Guang Yang, Tianyi Kang, Xiangwei Lin, Menglei Zha, Yaxi Li, Lidai Wang, Kai Li*. Photoinduced nonadiabatic decay-guided molecularmotor triggers effective photothermal conversion for hyperthermia cancer therapy. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, doi: 10.1002/ange.202002516 (†contributed equally).
- Jen-Shyang Ni,† Tianliang Min,† Yaxi Li, Menglei Zha, Pengfei Zhang, Chun Loong Ho, Kai Li.* Planar AIEgens with Enhanced Solid-State Luminescence and ROS-Generation for Multidrug-Resistant Bacteria Treatment. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, doi:10.1002/anie.202001103 (†contributed equally).
- Jen-Shyang Ni,† Yaxi Li,† Wentong Yue, Bin Liu,*Kai Li.* Nanoparticle-based cell trackers for biomedical applications. Theranostics. 2020, 10, 1923-1947. (†contributed equally).
- Huaxiao Yang,* Xulei Qin, Huiyuan Wang, Xin Zhao, Yonggang Liu, Hung-Ta Wo, Chun Liu, Masataka Nishiga, Haodong Chen, Jing Ge, Nazish Sayed, Oscar J. Abilez, Dan Ding, Sarah C. Heilshorn, Kai Li.* An in vivo miRNA delivery system for restoring infarcted myocardium. ACS Nano. 2019, 13, 9880-9894.
- Xulei Qin, Haodong Chen, Huaxiao Yang, Haodi Wu, Xin Zhao, Huiyuan Wang, Tony Chour, Evgenios Neofytou, Dan Ding, Heike Daldrup-Link, Sarah C. Heilshorn, Kai Li,* Joseph C. Wu,* Photoacoustic imaging of embryonic stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes in living hearts with ultrasensitive semiconducting polymer nanoparticles. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2018, 28, 1704939.
- Heqi Gao, Xiaoyan Zhang, Chao Chen, Kai Li,* Dan Ding.* Unity makes strength: how aggregation-induced emission luminogens advance the biomedical field. Adv. Biosys. 2018, 2, 1800074 (Invited Review).
- Kai Li,* Hossein Nejadnik, Heike E. Daldrup-Link,* Next generation superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles for cancer theranostics. Drug Discov. Today 2017, 22, 1421-1429 (Invited Review).
- Guorui Jin, Guangxue Feng, Wei Qin, Ben Zhong Tang, Bin Liu,* Kai Li,* Multifunctional organic nanoparticles with aggregation-induced emission (AIE) characteristics for targeted photodynamic therapy and RNA interference therapy. Chem. Commun. 2016, 52, 2752-2755 (*corresponding author).
- Guorui Jin, Duo Mao, Pingqiang Cai, Rongrong Liu, Nikodem Tomczak, Jie Liu, Xiaodong Chen, Deling Kong, Dan Ding,* Bin Liu,* Kai Li,* Conjugated polymer nanodots as ultrastable long-term trackers to understand mesenchymal stem cell therapy in skin regeneration. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2015, 25, 4263-4273 (Frontispiece Story).
- Jie Liu, Kai Li,* Bin Liu,* Far-red/near-infrared conjugated polymer nanoparticles for long-term in-situ monitoring of liver tumor growth. Adv. Sci. 2015, 2, 1500008.
- Kai Li, Bin Liu, Polymer-encapsulated organic nanoparticles for fluorescence and photoacoustic imaging. Chem. Soc. Rev. 2014, 43, 6570-6597.
- Dan Ding,† Duo Mao,† Kai Li,† Xiaomin Wang, Wei Qin, Rongrong Liu, David Shunzhong Chiam, Nikodem Tomczak, Zhimou Yang, Ben Zhong Tang, Deling Kong, Bin Liu (†contributed equally), Precise and long-term tracking of adipose-derived stem cells and their regenerative capacity via superb bright and stable organic nanodots. ACS Nano 2014, 8, 12620-12631.
- Wei Qin,† Kai Li,† Guangxue Feng, Min Li, Zhiyong Yang, Bin Liu, Ben Zhong Tang, Bright and photostable organic fluorescent dots with aggregation-induced emission characteristics for noninvasive long-term cell imaging. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2014, 24, 635-643 (†contributed equally).
- Guangxue Feng,† Kai Li,† Jie Liu, Dan Ding, Bin Liu, Bright single-chain conjugated polymer dots embedded nanoparticles for long-term cell tracing and imaging. Small 2014, 10, 1212-1219 (†contributed equally).
- Kai Li, Wei Qin, Dan Ding, Nikodem Tomczak, Junlong Geng, Rongrong Liu, Jianzhao Liu, Xinhai Zhang, Hongyu Liu, Bin Liu, Ben Zhong Tang, Photostable fluorescent organic dots with aggregation-induced emission (AIE dots) for noninvasive long-term cell tracing. Sci. Rep. 2013, 3, 1150 (Highlighted by Nature News).
- Kai Li, Zhenshu Zhu, Zujin Zhao, Nikodem Tomczak, Pingqiang Cai, Rongrong Liu, Jie Liu, Wei Qin, Yong Hu, Xiaodong Chen, Ben Zhong Tang, Bin Liu, Organic dots with aggregation-induced emission (AIE dots) characteristics for dual-color cell tracing. Chem. Mater. 2013, 25, 4181-4187.
- Kai Li, Dan Ding, Da Huo, Kan-Yi Pu, Ngo Nguyen Phuong Thao, Yong Hu, Zhi Li, Bin Liu, Conjugated polymer based nanoparticles as dual-modal probes for targeted in vivo fluorescence and magnetic resonance imaging. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2012, 22, 3107-3115.
- Kai Li, Yutao Liu, Kan-Yi Pu, Si-Shen Feng, Ruoyu Zhan, Bin Liu, Polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxanes-containing conjugated polymer loaded PLGA nanoparticles with Trastuzumab (Herceptin) functionalization for HER2-positive cancer cell detection. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2011, 21, 287-294 (Inside Front Cover Story).
- Kai Li, Jie Pan, Si-Shen Feng, Arthur Wenqing Wu, Kan-Yi Pu, Yutao Liu, Bin Liu, Generic strategy of preparing fluorescent conjugated polymer-loaded poly(dl-lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles for targeted cell imaging. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2009, 19, 3535-3542 (Frontispiece Story).
Course: nano biomedicine（Graduate student)
Publications Read More
Researcher Li Kai: "there is love in the heart and light in the eyes."2021-11-01
Li Kai Angelw, Southern University of science and technology: Receptor Engineering to Optimize Reactive Oxygen Species Production and Promote Phenotypic Reprogramming of Macrophages2020-12-25
Lab members Read More
1 Post doctoral position
1. Have obtained or will obtain a doctorate in organic chemistry, polymer materials, biology and other related majors in the near future.
2. Good research background in organic synthesis is preferred.
3. Background in cell experiment, small animal model establishment and research is preferred.
4. Have a sense of responsibility, strong practical ability, diligent efforts, full of team spirit, good experimental safety awareness and certain independent scientific research ability.
5. Have made certain scientific research achievements in relevant research fields, and have high-quality SCI papers published in top academic journals or officially accepted.
6. Good literature review and English thesis writing skills.
1. The postdoctoral is employed for two years with an annual salary of 330000 yuan, including 150000 yuan of living allowance in Guangdong Province and 60000 yuan of living allowance in Shenzhen, and participates in social insurance and housing accumulation fund in accordance with relevant regulations of Shenzhen. Postdoctoral welfare shall be paid according to the standards of the school's teaching staff.
2. Especially excellent candidates can apply for the president's excellent postdoctoral, with an annual salary of more than 500000 yuan. (including living allowance in Guangdong Province and Shenzhen).
3. During the station, you can rely on the school to apply for public rental housing in Shenzhen. Postdoctors who do not rely on the school to use public rental housing in Shenzhen can enjoy a housing subsidy of 2800 yuan / month before tax for two years.
4. It has excellent working environment and opportunities for cooperation and exchange at home and abroad. Postdoctoral students enjoy a total of 25000 academic exchange funds for two years during their stay at the station.
5. The research group assists qualified postdoctors to apply for "Guangdong Overseas Youth postdoctoral introduction project". That is to say, after obtaining a doctorate from the top 200 universities in the world (excluding those in China, which are ranked according to the world university rankings of Thames, USNEWS, QS and Shanghai Jiaotong University in the previous year), setting up a post doctoral station in Guangdong Province to engage in post doctoral research, and promising to provide a living subsidy of 600000 yuan for each post doctoral who has been standing for more than 2 years after successful application (if it is different from the 150000 yuan living allowance of Guangdong Province and 60000 yuan living allowance of Shenzhen City, it shall be subject to the regulations of Shenzhen City); for postdoctoral students who have obtained the project support, signed a work agreement or labor contract with the employing unit of Guangdong Province after leaving the station, and promised to work in Guangdong for more than 3 years continuously, the provincial finance will give a housing allowance of 400000 yuan per person.
6. Postdoctoral students who choose to stay in Shenzhen to engage in scientific research work and sign labor (employment) contracts with enterprises and institutions in Shenzhen for more than 3 years can apply for Shenzhen postdoctoral research support in Shenzhen. The Shenzhen municipal government will provide scientific research support of 100000 yuan per person per year for a total of 3 years (subject to the latest application requirements of Shenzhen).
2. Position: scientific research assistant
1. Excellent undergraduate or master graduates in chemistry, materials science, biology, biomedical engineering and other related majors.
2. Published SCI papers are preferred.
3. Serious and responsible work, strong practical ability, diligent and enterprising, full of team spirit, and solid experimental skills.
4. Good English reading and writing skills.
The starting monthly salary is 5500-7500 yuan, which can be adjusted based on educational background, personal ability and experience; enjoy holiday expenses and monthly meal allowance welfare; enjoy basic old-age insurance, basic medical insurance, unemployment insurance, industrial injury insurance, maternity insurance, housing provident fund and other benefits.
2. Contact information and application procedures
Please send the application materials (including resume, published articles and summary of academic achievements) to: firstname.lastname@example.org , please indicate "XXX applies for Li Kai laboratory + position" in the email title, and please indicate the proposed time of arrival in the email. After strict screening, the resume will be arranged for interview in time, and the personal information will be kept strictly confidential.
3. Number of recruits