Professor Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering
Dr. Weiwei Deng is a Professor in the Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering at the Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech). Prior to joining SUSTech, he was a tenured associate professor at Virginia Tech (2015-2017) and an assistant professor at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015). He received his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Yale University in 2008 and B.S. from Tsinghua University in China. He is the recipient of National Science Foundation CAREER Award in 2015. His group has published over sixty publications, including two cover articles of Physical Review Letters.
Dr. Weiwei Deng is a Professor in the Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering at the Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech). Prior to joining SUSTech, he was a tenured associate professor at Virginia Tech (2015-2017) and an assistant professor at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015). He received his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Yale University in 2008 and B.S. from Tsinghua University in China. Dr. Deng’s general research interest is the fluid dynamics of low-dimensional liquid subjects (droplets, jets, and films) and their applications in additive manufacturing. His group’s work has been recently featured as the cover article of Physical Review Letters. He is the recipient of National Science Foundation CAREER Award.
1995 - 1999 Tsinghua University B.S.
1999 - 2001 Tsinghua University M.S.
2003 - 2008 Yale University Ph.D.
2008.6 - 2010.6 Yale University Post Doc.
2010.6 - 2015.8 University of Central Florida Assistant Professor
2015.8 - 2017.5 Virginia Tech Associate Professor(with Tenure)
2017.5 - now Southern University of Science and Technology Professor
- Fan Gao, Hao Yi, Lehua Qi, Rui Qiao, W Deng*, Weakly charged droplets fundamentally change impact dynamics on flat surfaces, Soft Matter 15 (28), 5548-5553, 2019 (封面文章, IF=3.89)
- Lei Guo, Yongqing Duan, Weiwei Deng, Yin Guan, YongAn Huang, and Zhouping Yin, Charged Satellite Drop Avoidance in Electrohydrodynamic Dripping, Micromachines (Basel). 10(3): 172, 2019 (IF=2.2)
- Yuanyuan Jiang, Congcong Wu, Liurui Li, Kai Wang, Zui Tao, Fan Gao, Weifeng Cheng, Jiangtao Cheng, Xin-Yan Zhao, Shashank Priya, Weiwei Deng*, All electrospray printed perovskite solar cells, Nano Energy, 53:440-448, 2018 (IF=15)
- X. Zhao, Z. Tao, W. Yang, L. Wang, Y. Jiang, Q. Zhang, B. Mi, M. Hong, and W. Deng*, Morphology and Electrical Characteristics of Polymer: Fullerene Films Deposited by Electrospray, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 183:137–145, 2018 (IF=6.0)
- Y. Wei, F.S. Segura, W. Deng, and R-H Chen, Effect of transport processes on ignition of stretched diffusion flames using laser spark, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 123: 988–993, 2018. (IF=3.89)
- S. Novak, P.T. Lin, C. Li, C. Lumdee, J. Hu, A. Agarwal, P. Kik, W. Deng, K. Richardson, Direct electrospray printing of gradient refractive index chalcogenide glass films, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 9, 26990−26995, 2017. (IF=7.5)
- C Wang, X Zhang, D Cao, H Yin, X Li, P Cheng, B Mi, Z Gao, W Deng, In situ preparation of hierarchically structured dual-layer TiO2 films by E-spray method for efficient dye-sensitized solar cells, Organic Electronics 49, 135-141, 2017 (IF=3.68)
- X.Y. Zhao, C. Li, W. Yang, W. Deng*, Paper-based Electrospray Emitters, Journal of Aerosol Science, 113, 108–113, 2017. (IF=2.0)
- X.Y. Zhao, D.E. Johnston, J.C. Rodriguez, Z. Tao, B.X. Mi, W. Deng*, Enhancement and Reorientation of Crystalline Domains in Nanostructured Polymer Semiconductor Films by Electrospray Deposition, Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, 2017, 1700090. (IF=2.3)
- C. Li, S. Novak, S. Denisov, N. McClenaghan, N. Patel, A. Agarwal, K. Richardson, W. Deng*, Electrospray deposition of quantum dot-doped Ge23Sb7S70 chalcogenide glass films, Thin Solid Films, 626, 194–199, 2017. (IF=2.0)
- Y. Wei, W. Deng, R-H Chen, Effects of internal circulation and nanoparticle mobility during nanofluid droplet evaporation, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 103, 1335-1347, 2016. (IF=3.89)
- Y. Wei, W. Deng, R-H Chen, Effects of insoluble nanoparticles on nanofluid droplet evaporation, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 97, 725-734, 2016. (IF=3.89)
- H. Yi, L. H. Qi, J. Luo, W. Deng*, Pinhole Formation from Liquid Metal Microdroplets Impact on Solid Surfaces, Applied Physics Letters, 108, 041601, 2016. (IF=3.3)
- H. Duan, F. J. Romay, C. Li, A. Naqwi, W. Deng* and B. Y. H. Liu, Generation of Monodisperse Aerosols by Combining Aerodynamic Flow‐Focusing and Mechanical Perturbation, Aerosol Science and Technology, 50, 1, 17-25, 2016. (IF=2.8)
- S. Novak, D. E. Johnston, C. Li, W. Deng*, K. Richardson, Deposition of Ge23Sb7S70 chalcogenide glass films by electrospray, Thin Solid Films, 588, 56-60, 2015. (IF=2.0)
- C. Li, K. Krueger, W. Yang, H. Duan, and W. Deng*, Gas-focused Liquid Microjets from a Slit, Physics of Fluids, 27, 032101 (10 pages) 2015. (IF=2.2)
- X. Zhao, W. Yang, C. Li, Z. Gao, B. Mi, Z. Chen, W. Huang, and W. Deng*, Effects of Damkhöler number of evaporation on the morphology of active layer and the performance of organic heterojunction solar cells fabricated by electrospray method, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 134: 140-147, 2015. (IF=6.0)
- W. Yang, H. Duan, C. Li, and W. Deng*, Crossover of varicose and whipping instabilities in electrified micro jets, Physical Review Letters, 112, 054501, 2014. (封面文章. IF=8.46)
- X. Zhao, X. Wang, S. Lim, D. Qi, R. Wang, Z. Gao, B. Mi, Z. Chen, W. Huang, and W. Deng*, Enhancement of the performance of organic solar cells by electrospray deposition with optimal solvent system, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 121: 119-125, 2014. (IF=6.0)
- B. Duong, H. Liu, C. Li, W Deng, L Ma, M Su, Printed multilayer microtaggants with phase change nanoparticles for enhanced labeling security, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 6: 8909–8912, 2014. (IF=7.5)
- X. Wang, H. Yu, D. Lu, J. Zhang, and W. Deng, Label free detection of the breast cancer biomarker CA15.3 using ZnO nanorods coated quartz crystal microbalance, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 195: 630–634, 2014. (IF=3.7)
- C. Li, M. Chang, W. Yang, A. Madden, and W. Deng*, Ballpoint pen tips as robust cone-jet electrospray emitters, J. Aerosol Science, 77, 10-15, 2014. (IF=2.8)
- T. Zhu, C. Li, W. Yang, X. Zhao, X. Wang, C. Tang, B. Mi, W. Huang, and W. Deng*, Electrospray dense suspensions of TiO2 nanoparticles for dye sensitized solar cells, Aerosol Science and Technology, 47: 1302-1309, 2013. (IF=2.8)
- H. Duan, W. Yang, C. Li, B. Lojewski, and W. Deng*, Scalable generation of strictly monodisperse droplets by transverse electro-hydrodynamic excitations, Aerosol Science and Technology, 47:1174-1179, 2013. (IF=2.8)
- H. Duan, C. Li, W. Yang, L. An, and W. Deng*, Near-field electrospray micro printing of polymer derived ceramics, Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 22:1, 1-3, 2013. (IF=2.1)
- B. Lojewski, W. Yang, H. Duan, C. Xu, and W. Deng*, Design, Fabrication and characterization of linear multiplexed electrospray atomizers micro-machined from metal and polymers, Aerosol Science and Technology, 47:146-152, 2013. (IF=2.8)
- W. Yang, B. Lojewski, Y. Wei, and W. Deng*, Interactions and deposition patterns of multiplexed electrosprays, Journal of Aerosol Science, 46, 20-33, 2012. (IF=2.8)
- W. Deng* and A. Gomez, Full transient response of Taylor cones to a step change in the electric field, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 12:1, 383-393, 2012. (IF=3.4)
- X. Zhao, B. Lojewski, W. Yang, T. Zhu, B. Mi, Z. Gao, W. Huang, and W. Deng*, Electrospray as a fabrication tool in organic photovoltaics, Reviews in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 1:3, 172-186, 2012. (特邀综述.)
- W. Deng and A. Gomez, Electrospray cooling for microelectronics, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54, 2270-2275, 2011. (IF=2.6)
- W. Deng, and A. Gomez, The role of electric charge in microdroplets impacting on conducting surfaces, Physics of Fluids, 22:51703, 2010. (IF=1.9)
- W. Deng, C.M. Waits, and A. Gomez, Digital electrospray for controlled deposition, Review of Scientific Instruments, 81:35114, 2010. (IF=1.6)
- B. Almeria, W. Deng, T. Fahmy, and A. Gomez, Controlling the Morphology of electrospray-generated PLGA microparticle for drug delivery, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 343, 125-133, 2010. (IF=3.4)
- W. Deng, C.M. Waits, B. Morgan, and A. Gomez, Compact multiplexing of monodisperse electrosprays, Journal of Aerosol Science, 40, 907-918, 2009. (IF=2.8)
- W. Deng and A. Gomez, Influence of Space charge on the scale-up of multiplexed electrosprays, Journal of Aerosol Science, 38, 1062-1078, 2007. (IF=2.8)
- W. Deng, J. Klemic, X. Li, M. Reed and A. Gomez, Liquid fuel combustor miniaturization via microfabrication, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 31, 2239-2246, 2007. (IF=2.6)
- W. Deng, J. Klemic, X. Li, M. Reed and A. Gomez, Increase of electrospray throughput using multiplexed microfabricated sources for the generation of monodisperse Droplets, Journal of Aerosol Science, 37, 696-714, 2006. (IF=2.8)
- M. Duby, W. Deng, K. Kim, T. Gomez and A. Gomez, Monodisperse electrospray multiplexing in the multi-Jet mode, Journal of Aerosol Science, 37, 306-322, 2006. (IF=2.8)
- M. Li, W. Deng, Y. Fan, Study on arc movement in hollow electrode plasma generators with external double magnetic fields, Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processing, 24, 73-84, 2004. (IF=1.7)
- M. Li, Y. Fan, B. Dai, W. Deng, X. Liu, Study on mechanism of C-H radicals recombination into acetylene in the process of coal pyrolysis in hydrogen plasma, Thin Solid Films, 390, 170-174, 2001. (IF=2.0)
Experimental fluid dynamics of liquid droplets, jets, and films;
Printing of perovskite and polymer solar cells via electrospray deposition;
Printing of flexible electronics;
Spray drying route of nanoparticles for cancer therapy.
Autumn of 2021: MAE207 Engineering Fluid Mechanics
This course is designed for undergraduates majoring in engineering and introduces the basic concepts and methods of fluid mechanics. Knowledge points include: pressure, stress, statics, buoyancy; open system and controlled volume analysis; conservation of mass and momentum of flowing liquid; viscous fluid, tube flow; dimensional analysis; boundary layer; lift and resistance. Students apply the learned concepts to model different problems to study, analyze, and design fluid systems. This course will train the ability to simplify and solve problems in the context of practical engineering applications.
Spring of 2021: MAE5027 Interface Phenomenon
This course introduces the forces and unique phenomena at the material interface, as well as the theoretical analysis and experimental methods of interface phenomena. Knowledge points include: surface tension, wetting, dewetting, water repellent, capillary origami, contact line dynamics, long-range force, fluid mechanics of thin liquid membranes, surfactants, Janus particles, wetting with textured or soft surfaces And the flow caused by the surface tension gradient. Students will apply the learned concepts to model or construct experiments to analyze different problems. This course will train the ability to analyze and solve interfacial phenomena in the context of interdisciplinary research and practical engineering applications.
Publications Read More
Lab members Read More
1. 出站后业绩突出者可推荐留任南方科技大学（如研究教授序列），其它深圳科研企业单位，或国外合作单位继续深造； 2. 协助申请国家自然科学基金，广东省以及深圳市相应基础研究和专业创新项目； 3. 出站留深工作满三年，符合深圳市后备级条件的可获80-100万元的住房补贴和可申请30万元RMB科研启动经费。 4. 海外博士或具有一年以上留学经历留深工作可申请深圳市孔雀计划160-200万住房补贴；200-500万科研启动经费。
申请材料 （合并为单个PDF文件） 1. Cover letter（中英文均可）：简要个人介绍和未来规划。 2. 个人简历 3. 博士论文的中英文摘要 4. 两到三篇代表性论文（第一作者） 5. 两到三名推荐人的单位和联系方式
1. 享受医疗保险、养老保险、工伤保险等基本社会保险； 2. 享受过节费、餐补、计划生育奖励、免费体检等福利待遇； 3. 提供良好的科研与办公条件和校内住宿（或公租房补贴），学校为每位博士后提供两年2.5万元的学术交流资助； 4. 可以申请深圳户口，解决子女入托问题。