Selected journal papers:
(1) H.W. Chandler and J.H. Song, Mathematical Modelling of Isostatic Pressing, Br. Ceram. Trans. J, 88(1989), 167-172.
(2) J.H. Song and H.W. Chandler, The Determination of some Compaction Properties of Ceramic Powders using a Simple Cylindrical Apparatus, Br. Ceram. Trans. J. 89(1990), 49-52.
(3) H.W. Chandler and J.H. Song, A Variational Principle for the Compaction of Granulate Materials, Chemical Engineering Science, 45 (1990), 1359-1366.
(4) J.H. Song, High Strength Steel Wire Cable Connector, Innovation, 20(1991), 13-15.
(5) G. Dransfield, I. Birkby, P. McColgan, J.R.G. Evans and J.H. Song, Manufacture of Ceramic Components from Ultra-fine Oxide Powders, Proc. Brit. Ceram. Soc. 51(1993), 15-23.
- H. Song and J.R.G. Evans, The Assessment of Dispersion of Fine Powders for Injection Moulding and Related Process, J. Euro. Ceram. Soc. 12(1993), 467-478.
- H. Song and J.R.G. Evans, Phase Separation during Reheating of Mouldings, Processing of Advanced Materials, 3(1993), 193-198.
(8) J.H. Song and J.R.G. Evans, A Die Pressing Test for the Estimation of Agglomerate Strength, J.Am. Ceram. Soc. 77(1994), 806-814.
(9) G. Dransfield, I. Birkby, J.H. Song and J.R.G. Evans, Factors Affecting the Machinability of Fine Powder Compacts, Br. Ceram. Tran. J, 93(1994), 183-186.
(10) J.H. Song and J.R.G. Evans, Flocculation after Injection Moulding in Ceramic Suspensions. Journal of Materials Research, 9(1994), 2386-2397.
- H. Song and J.R.G. Evans, The Effect of Undispersed Agglomerates on the Relative Viscosity of Ceramic Suspensions, J. Mat. Sci. Lett. 13(1994), 1642-1644.
- H. Song and J.R.G. Evans, A Comparison Between the Injection Moulding of Fine and Ultra-fine Zirconia Powders, Ceramics International, 21(1995), 325-333.
- A. Matar, M.J. Edirisinghe, J.R.G. Evans, E.H. Twizell and J.H. Song, Modelling the Removal of Organic Vehicle from Ceramic or Metal Mouldings: the Effect of Gas Permeation on the Incidence of Defects, J. Mat. Sci., 30 (1995), 3805-3810.
- H. Song and J.R.G. Evans, Ultra-fine Ceramic Powder Injection Moulding, the Role of Dispersants, J. Rheology, 40 (1996), 131-152.
- H. Song, J.R.G. Evans, M.J. Edirisinghe and E.H. Twizell, Effect of A Powder Bed on the Critical Heating Rate for Thermolysis of Ceramic Injection Moulded Components, A.I.Ch.E.J., 42(1996), 1715-1722.
- H. Song, J.R.G. Evans, M.J. Edirisinghe and E.H. Twizell, Modelling the Effect of Gas Transport on the Formation of Defects during Thermolysis of Moulded Powders, J. Mater. Res., 11 (1996), 830-840.
- H. Song, J.R.G. Evans, M.J. Edirisinghe and E.H. Twizell, Mathematical Modelling of Binder Removal from Plastically-formed Engineering Ceramics, Advances in Computational Mathematics, 6(1996), 325-331.
- H. Song, J.R.G. Evans, M.J. Edirisinghe and E.H. Twizell, Review: Gas Transport Coefficients in Ceramic Bodies during the Thermolysis of Organic Additives, International Materials Reviews, 41 (1996), 116-128.
- H. Song and J.R.G. Evans, On the Machinability of Ceramic Compacts, J. Euro. Ceram. Soc. 17(1997), 1665-73.
- H. Song, Compaction Behaviour of Ceramic Powders and Computer Modelling, Ch. Mater. Res. 2(1997), 50-61.
- H. Song, J.R.G. Evans, M.J. Edirisinghe and E. H. Twizell, Multi-parameter Mapping of Polymer Properties for Fast Thermolysis of Powder Mouldings, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 70(1998), 545-557.
- H. Song, Applications of Solid Free Forming Techniques in the Fabrication of Ceramic Components, Ch. J. Mater. Res. 12(1998), 45-51.
- Mott, J.H. Song and J.R.G. Evans, Microengineering of Ceramics by Direct Ink-Jet Printing, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 82(1999) 1653-58.
- H. Song, M.J. Edirisinghe and J.R.G. Evans, Formulation and Multilayer Jet Printing of Ceramic Inks, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 82(1999), 3374-80.
- H. Song, J.R.G. Evans and M.J. Edirisinghe, Optimisation of Heating Schedules in Pyrolytic Binder Removal from Ceramic Mouldings, J. Mater. Res, 15 (2000), 449-457.
- Shi, Z. X. Guo and J. H. Song, Kinetic Modelling Of Binder Burnout For Optimisation Of Slurry-Powder Manufacturing Process of Ti/Sic Composites, Mater. Sci. & Tech, 16(2000), 843-47.
- Shi, X.Z.Guo and J. H. Song, Binder Removal Dynamics in a Ti-SiC Composite Prepared by a Powder Metallurgy Route, Ch. Mater. Res., 105(2001), 213-218.
- L. Zhao, J. R. G. Evans, M. J. Edirisinghe and J. Song, Ceramic Freeforming using an Advanced Multi-nozzle Printer, J. Mater. Synth. Proc. 9(2001), 319-327.
- Wang, J.H. Song and Y. G. Kang, Modelling of the Mechanical Behaviour of Biodegradable Foams-from Physical Fundamentals to Applications, Chapter 7 in Engineering Plasticity and Impact Dynamics (Ed. L. C. Zhang), World Scientific, 2001, 117-134.
- Nur, J. H. Song and J. R. G. Evans, Ink Jet Printing of Gold Conductive Tracks, J. Mater. Sci:: Mater. in Electronics, 13(2002), 213-19.
- Shi, Z.X. Guo and J. H. Song, A Diffusion-Controlled Kinetic Model For Binder Burnout In A Powder Compact, Acta, Mater, 50(2002), 1937-50.
- Wang, J. Song and Y. Kang, On Modelling of Biodegradable Foams for Packaging Applications, Key Engineering Materials, 227(2002), 253-60.
- L. Zhao, J. R. G. Evans, M. J. Edirisinghe and J. Song, Direct Ink Jet Printing of Vertical Walls, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 85(2002), 2113-2115.
- L. Zhao, J. R. G. Evans, M. J. Edirisinghe and J. Song, Ink-jet Printing of Ceramic Pillar Arrays, J. Mater. Sci., 37(2002), 1987-1992.
- L. Zhao, J. R. G. Evans, M. J. Edirisinghe and J. Song, Formulation of a Ceramic In for a Wide Array Drop-on-demand Ink-Jet Printer, Ceramic Int. 29(2003), 887-892.
- Nur, J.H. Song, Formation and Prevention of Defects and Prevention in Ceramic Components Fabricated by Inkjet Printing, J. Mater. Proc. Tech. 155-156(2004), 1286-1292
- Davis and J. H. Song, Biodegradable Packaging Based on Raw Materials and Their Impact on Waste Management, Ind. Crop and Prod, 23(2006), 147-161
- Zhou, J. Song and R. Parker, Structure and Properties of Starch-Based Foams Prepared by Microwave Heating from Extruded Pellets, Carbohydrate Polymers, 63(2006), 466-475.
- Zhou, J. Song and R. Parker, Microwave-Assisted Moulding Using Expandable Extruded Pellets from Wheat Flours and Starch, Carbohydrate Polymers, 69(2007), 445-454
- W. Chandler, C.M. Sands , J.H. Song, P.J. Withers and S.A. McDonald, A Plasticity Model for Powder Compaction Processes Incorporating Particle Deformation and Rearrangement, accepted by International Journal of Solids and Structures, doi:10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2007.11.021
- Szegda, D., Song, J., Warby, M.K. and Whiteman, J.R., Computational Modelling of a Thermoforming Process for Themoplastic Starch, in Materials Processing and Design; Modelling, Simulation and Applications 908(1)35-48, 2007; DOI:10.1063/1.2740788
- W. Chandler, C.M. Sands, J.H. Song, P.J. Withers , S.A. McDonald, A plasticity model for powder compaction processes incorporating particle deformation and rearrangement, I. J. of Solids and Structures 45, 2056–2076, 2008.
- G. Kang and J Song, Structure and compression behaviour of macro-composite starch foams, Journal of Cellular Plastic,45(2009), 33-49.
- G. Kang, W. Xia, J. Song and K. Traverdi, Extrusion fractionation of wheat straw for biocomposites utilising the entire straw constituents, Int. J. Mater. Prod. Tech. 36(1-4) 2009, 334 – 347.
- Song R.J. Murphy, R. Narayan and G. Davies Biodegradable and compostible alternatives to conventional plastics. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B (2009) 1, 1–12
- Wendy Xia, Jim Song, Karnik Tarverdi and Yong Gang Kang, Wheat Straw and Wheat Flour Biocomposites Prepared by Extrusion Process, Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy, 4(2010), 1–9.
- Damian Szegda, Sitthi Daungphet, Jim Song and Karnik Tarverdi EXTRUSION FOAMING AND RHEOLOGY OF PHBV, Foam 2010 Seattle, USA October 2010.
- Yong Wang, Yun-Xin Gao, Jim Song, Michael Bonin, Miao Guo and Richard Murphy, Assessment of technical and environmental performances of wheat based foams in thermal packaging applications, Technol. Sci. 2010; 23: 363–382
- Sitthi Daungphet, Jim Song and Karnik Tarverdi, The Effect of Chain Extender on Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate): Thermal Degradation, Crystallization, and Rheological Behaviours. J Poly Envir. DOI: 10.1007/s10924-012-05685 online: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10924-012-0568-5 .
- Peng, J. Song , A. Nesbitt and R. Day, Microwave Foaming of Starch-based Materials(I) Dielectric Performance, Cellular Plastics , 49(3) 245–258, 2013
- Peng, J. Song , A. Nesbitt and R. Day, Microwave Foaming of Starch-based Materials(II) Thermo-mechanical Performance, Cellular Plastics, 49(2) 147–160, 2013
- Damian Szegda, Sitthi Duangphet,Jim Song and Karnik Tarverdi, Extrusion foaming of PHBV, Journal of Cellular Plastics, DOI: 10.1177/0021955X13505249
- Zhao, W. Xia, K. Tarverdi and J. Song, Biocomposite boards from wheat straw
without addition of bonding agent, Journal of Materials Science and Technology, 30(5), 2014, 603-610
- Panagiotis Tsimiklis, Fabrizio Ceschin, Sheng Feng Qin, Stephen Green, Jim Song, Tom Rodden, Sharon Baurley, Charalampos Makatsoris, “A Consumer-Centric Open Innovation Framework for Food and Packaging Manufacturing”, International Journal of Knowledge and Systems Science, 6(3), 52-69, 2015.
- Muhammad Shaheer, Mike Troughton, Amir Khamsehnezhad and Jim Song, A study of the micro-mechanical properties of butt fusion-welded joints in HDPE pipes using the nanoindentation technique, Welding in the World, 61(4), 2017, 819–831
- Kun Qi, Jim Song, Karnik Tarverdi, Recycling of mixed plastics using PIM technology Part I - Influence of impurities in the feedstock on mechanical properties of PIM sandwich panels, accepted by Journal of Environment Engineering
- Kun Qi, Jim Song, Karnik Tarverdi, Recycling of mixed plastics using PIM technology Part II - Influence of loading and flake size of mixed plastics on mechanical properties of PIM sandwich panels accepted by Journal of Environment Engineering
- Harris etc and J Song, A critical review of international standards for bio-degradability, accepted by J. Roy. Soc.
- Zhao, W. Xia, K. Tarverdi and J. Song, wheat straw-biopolymers composites, accepted by Environmental Polymers.
- Sitthi Duangphet and Jim Song, Thermal stabilisation of PHBV composites, accepted by Environmental Polymers.
- J Song, M. Kay and R. Coles Chapter 11 Bioplastics, in “Food Packaging Technology”, 2nd Ed, (Ed. R Cloes et al) Blackwell Publishing,
- Song, Chapter 7, Starch foams in “Bio-foams, Science and applications of bio-based cellular and porous Materials” (C. Park etc), CRC Press, 2015.