- Shenzhen Engineering Lab of Environmental Internet of Things (EIoT) Technologies
In October 2017, Dr. Yi Zheng’s proposal to establish this Lab was approved by the Development and Reform Commission of Shenzhen Municipality. A startup fund of ¥5,000,000 has been provided by the Shenzhen City to support the Lab, starting from 2018. Dr. Yi Zheng is the Lab Director and lead its development. This Lab is one of the few government-funded engineering labs currently in China which focus on EIoT.
While mainly based on the School of Environmental Science and Engineering, the Lab will bring together research groups from different departments of SUSTech, as well as from outside of SUSTech, and strive for promoting cross-disciplinary innovation. It aims to develop cutting-edge EIoT technologies by integrating new environmental sensing technologies, advanced environmental modeling approaches, artificial intelligence, and environmental big data. The technologies will be applied to tackle critical environmental issues such as early warning of algae blooms in reservoirs and bays and emergency handling in environmental disasters (e.g., illegal emissions, spills, landslides, and floods).
- Capacity building initiative for research and teaching on environmental protection and high-efficiency resources utilization
In September 2017, the Development and Reform Commission of Shenzhen Municipality approved Dr. Yi Zheng’s proposal to enhance the research and teaching capacity of SUSTech on environmental protection and high-efficiency resources utilization. The Shenzhen City will provide ¥10,000,000 in the following three years to support scientific studies and curriculum development related to industrial ecology and circular economy.
Grants and Contracts
External Sources Received at SUSTech
- Improving water quality to sustain watershed ecosystems and socio-economic development under climate change: a China-Chile comparative study, The International (Regional) Joint Research Program of NSFC-CONICYT (5191101522 ), PI, ¥3,000,000, 2020-2024.
- Optimization of the mountain-water-forest-field-lake-grass system in Qilian Mountain: an integrated modeling study, Strategic Priority Research Program of Chinese Academy of Sciences (XDA2010010404), PI, ¥2,000,000, 2018-2022.
- Water resources modeling and management, NSFC Excellent Young Investigator Award project (No. 41622111), PI, ¥1,500,000, 2017-2019.
- Water, energy and environment nexus of rivers in southwestern China and the system resilience, key project of the NSFC Major Research Initiative “Variation and adaptive use of the runoff in the source region of southwestern rivers” (No. 91647201), Co-Investigator, directing ¥1,000,000, 2017-2020.
- Spatial optimization for low impact development design, SSTIC research project (No. JCYJ20160530190411804), PI, ¥300,000, 2017-2018.
- Shenzhen Peacock Talents Research Grant from SSTIC, PI, ¥5,000,000, 2016-2018.
External Sources Received at PKU
- Nonpoint source pollution process of PAHs in urbanized areas: mechanism and modeling approach, NSFC regular project (No. 41371473), PI, ¥750,000, 2014-2017.
- System behaviors and regulation of ecohydrological processes in the middle and lower Heihe River Basin, integrative project of the NSFC Major Research Initiative “Integrated research on the eco-hydrological processes in the Heihe River Basin” (No. 91225301), Co-investigator, directing ¥600,000, 2013-2016.
- Risk assessment and decision support research on technologies and strategies for the development of regional circular economy, the National Science & Technology Pillar Program administrated by MOST (No. 2012BAC03B02), Co-Investigator, directing ¥1,000,000, 2012-2015.
- Integrated surface water-groundwater modeling for the Heihe Basin and its uncertainty, regular project of the NSFC Major Research Initiative “Integrated research on the eco-hydrological processes in the Heihe River Basin” (No. 91125021), PI, ¥800,000, 2012-2014.
- Study on the uncertainty in distributed simulation of watershed nonpoint source pollution, NSFC Young Investigator project (No. 50909001), PI, ¥210,000, 2010-2012.
- Integrated water resources modeling and its uncertainty analysis for coastal watersheds under climate and land use changes, NSFC-DFG (Germany) Joint Research (No. 50911130509), Co-Investigator, directing ¥220,000, 2010-2012.
- Mediation and management mechanisms of trans-jurisdictional water pollution in China: a pilot study, the National Special Program on Water Pollution Control and Management administrated by MOST (No. 2009ZX07632-001-05), Co-Investigator, directing ¥560,000, 2009-2011.
- Technologies of integrated pollution prevention and control for the heavy metal contamination in the Xiangjiang River, the National Special Program on Water Pollution Control and Management administrated by MOST (No. 2009ZX07212-001-07), Co-Investigator, directing ¥370,000, 2009-2011.
- Systematic assessment and decision-support approaches for the development of circular economy in China, the National Science & Technology Pillar Program administrated by MOST (2009BAC64B02), Co-Investigator, directing ¥610,000, 2009-2011.
- Barriers assessment and integrated policy development of critical energy-saving technologies promotion, The Energy Foundation (No. G-0911-11672), PI, ¥580,000, 2009-2010.