Hui Li, Chair Professor, joined the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at South University of Science and Technology of China in Oct. 2015. Prof. Li received her BS and MS degrees in Chemical Engineering in 1987 and 1990, respectively, both from Tsinghua University, and received her PhD degree in Electrochemical Engineering from the University of British Columbia (UBC) in 2006. Prof. Li began her Post-doctor fellow career at the Clean Energy Research Centre at UBC, Vancouver, BC, Canada from Jun. 2006 to Mar. 2007.
Dr. Li joined the National Research Council of Canada in 2007 and had been responsible for a series of influential research work through both the national and international collaborative projects, including joint projects with US Department of Energy (US DOE), the DLR, and the world's leading fuel cell companies (such as Ballard, Hydrogenics, AFCC, MBFC). Moreover, Dr. Li conducted pioneering research in the field of hydrogen proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) design, failure diagnosis and durability testing, and mastered the key technologies in PEMFC key materials and components. Dr. Li was also the technical leader of NRC’s Energy Storage Program, and she was sitting in the ISO/WG14 group developing specs for air and hydrogen feeds for stationary applications of fuel cells. Dr. Li has co-authored more than forty research papers published in refereed journal and co-edited four books related to PEM fuel cells and PEM electrolyzers. Dr. Li has three granted patents and one technology licensed to the Mantra Energy Group.
2002- 2006, Ph. D in Electrochemical Engineering
Chemical & Biological Engineering Department, University of British Columbia, Canada
1987- 1990, M. Sc. in Chemical Engineering
Department of Chemical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
1982 –1987, B. Sc in Chemical Engineering
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Research and Teaching Experience
2015 - present, Chair Professor, South University of Science and Technology of China
2007 –2015, Research Council Officer and Energy Storage Program Technical Leader, National
Research Council Canada, Energy, Mining & Environment Portfolio, Vancouver, BC, Canada
2015-present, NWU of South Africa, Extraordinary professor
2013-present, University of British Columbia, Adjunct professor
Awards & Honors
The eleventh recipient of “Recruitment Program of Global Experts”
High-Caliber Personnel of Shenzhen Peacock Plan (Level A)
PEM fuel cell key technologies and materials, including Low platinum and platinum catalyst for oxygen reduction, proton exchange membrane, bipolar plates and membrane electrode
The research platform of water electrolysis for Hydrogen production technologies, including the structure-activity relationship and optimization of catalyst and membrane electrode、single cell or stack testing/diagnosis
1. Yan-Jie Wang , Baizeng Fang , Hui Li, Xiaotao T. Bi, Haijiang Wang。 “Progress in modified carbon support materials for Pt and Pt-alloy cathode catalysts in polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells”，Progress in Materials Science 82(2016)445-498
2. Yanjie Wang, Nana. Zhao, Zheng Bai, Hui Li, Tony Bi, Haijinag Wang. “Effect of different solvent ratio (ethylene glycol/water) on the preparation of Pt/C catalyst and its activity toward oxygen reduction reaction ”. RCS Advances. 5 (2015) 56570-56577
3. Yanjie Wang, Nana. Zhao, Zheng Bai, Hui Li, Haijinag Wang, Tony Bi. “Carbon-Supported Pt-Based Alloy Electrocatalysts for the Oxygen Reduction Reaction in Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells: Particle Size, Shape, and Composition Manipulation and Their Impact to Activity”. Chemical Reviews, 115(2015) 3433-3467
4. Lei Zhang, Hui Li, Jiujun Zhang. “Kinetics of oxygen reduction reaction on three different Pt surfaces of Pt/C catalyst analyzed by rotating ring-disk electrode in acidic solution”. Journal of Power Sources, 255 (2014) 242-250.
5. Zhu Chen, Aiping Yu, Drew Higgins, Hui Li, Haijiang Wang, Zhongwei Chen. “Highly active and durable core-corona structured bifunctional catalyst for rechargeable metal-air battery applications”. Nano Letters, 12 (2012) 1946-1652.
6. Zhu Chen, Aiping Yu, Raihan Ahmed, Haijiang Wang, Hui Li, Zhongwei Chen. “Manganese Dioxide Nanotube and Nitrogen-doped Carbon Nanotube Based Composite Bifunctional Catalyst for Rechargeable Zinc-Air Battery”. Electrochim. Acta, 69(2012)295-300.
7. Yi Yu, Xiao-Zi Yuan, Hui Li, Elton Gu, Haijiang Wang, Guangjin Wang, Mu Pan. “Current mapping of a PEM fuel cell with a segmented current collector during the gas starvation and shutdown process”. Intern. J. Hydrogen Energy 37 (2012) 15288-15300.
8. Xiao-Zi Yuan, Hui Li, Yi Yu, Max Jiang, Weimin Qian, Shengsheng Zhang, Haijiang Wang, Silvia Wessel, Tommy Cheng. “Diagnosis of contamination introduced by ammonia at the cathode in a PEM fuel cell”. Intern. J. Hydrogen Energy 37 (2012) 12464-12473.
9. Hui Li, Shengsheng Zhang, Weimin Qian, Yi Yu, Xiao-Zi Yuan, Haijiang Wang, Max Jiang, Silvia Wessel, Tommy Cheng. “Impacts of operating conditions on the effects of chloride contamination on PEM fuel cell performance and durability”. J Power Sources. 218 (2012) 375-382.
10. Yi Yu, Hui Li, Haijiang Wang, Xiao-Zi Yuan, Guangjin Wang, Mu Pan. “A review on performance degradation of proton exchange membrane fuel cells during startup and shutdown processes: Causes, consequences, and mitigation strategies”. J Power Sources. 205 (2012) 10-23.
11. Alfred Lam, Hui Li, Shengsehng Zhang, Haijiang Wang, David Wilkinson, Silvia Wessel, Tommy T. H. Cheng. “Ex situ study of chloride contamination on carbon supported Pt catalyst”. J. Power Sources. 205 (2012) 235-238.
12. Xiao-Zi Yuna, Jian Colin Sun, Haijiang Wang, Hui Li. “Accelerated conditioning for a proton exchange membrane fuel cell”. J. Power Sources. 205 (2012) 340-344.
13. Shengsheng Zhang, Xiao-Zi Yuna, Renate Hiesgen, K. Andreas Friedrich, Haijiang Wang, Mathias Schulze, Andrea Haug, Hui Li. “ Effect of open voltage on degradation of a short proton change membrane fuel cell stack with bilayer membrane configuration”. J Power Sources. 205 (2012) 290-300.
14. Bing Li, Drew C. Higgins, Shaomin Zhu, Hui Li, Haijiang Wang, Jianxin Ma, Zhongwei Chen.“Highly Active Pt-Ru Nanowire Network Catalysts for the Methanol Oxidation Reaction”. Catalysis Communications, 18(2012)51-54.
Copyright © 2018 All Rights Reserved.