Professor Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering Research Group
Wei Zhang received the B.S. in Automatic Control from the University of Science and Technology of China in 2003, the M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Kentucky in 2005, and the M.S. in Statistics and the Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering both from Purdue University in 2009. From January 2010 to August 2011, he was a Postdoctoral Researcher in the EECS Department at the University of California, Berkeley. He served as an Assistant Professor (2011 – 2017) and then an Associate Professor (with tenure) of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Ohio State University. His research interests include control and optimization theory, machine learning, motion planning, and their applications in robotics and autonomous systems. He is a recipient of the NSF CAREER award and the Lumley Research Award at the Ohio State University. He is currently a Senior Member of IEEE and an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Control System Technology.
Autonomous system navigation and collision avoidance
MEE424-Modern Control and Estimation
Teaching language: English
Course Objectives: This course will introduce the students to the fundamental concepts and methods in modern control and estimation theory. Topics include state-space modelling of dynamical systems, least square estimation and system identification, state-feedback and output-feedback controller design, observer design, linear quadratic regulators, and Kalman filter.The course will also connect these control and estimation methods to applications in robotics, mechanical, electrical, and aerospace systems.
MEE5114 Advanced Control for Robotics
Teaching language: English
Course Objectives: The objective of this course is for students to develop the ability to recognize, formulate, and solve control problems within the context of robotic applications. We will introduce important concepts and tools for design and analysis of advanced robotic control systems. Topics include advanced rigid body kinematics and dynamics using product of exponentials, screw theory, and spatial vectors, contact modeling, nonlinear dynamical systems, Lyapunov stability, Linear Matrix Inequalities, optimal control and trajectory optimization, model predictive control, among others. An emphasis will be placed on developing competency in control and optimization theory and on applications within legged robotics.
Publications Read More
Lab members Read More
CLEAR Lab is looking for postdocs:
A. Application conditions:
(1) A Ph.D. in the fields of automation, electronics, computers, mechanics, applied mathematics, etc. has been granted or recently awarded;
(2) Experience in developing legged robots, underwater robots, and manipulate robotics is preferred;
(3) Those who have published relevant SCI papers are preferred, and those who publish papers in authoritative journals are preferred;
(4) Have independent research ability, be responsible, have team spirit, and be able to guide students.
(5) Have good literature reading and writing ability;
B. Remuneration package:
1) The post-doctoral salary is 335,000 yuan, including Guangdong Province subsidy of 150,000 yuan (before tax) and Shenzhen City living allowance of 60,000 yuan (after tax), and participate in social insurance and housing provident fund according to the relevant provisions of Shenzhen. Post-doctoral benefits are paid in accordance with the standards of faculty and staff in school posts. Those who are particularly good can apply for the Principal's outstanding postdoc, with an annual salary of 415,000 yuan. (including subsidies from Guangdong Province and Shenzhen City)
2) The research team provides an excellent working environment and opportunities for cooperation and exchanges between domestic and overseas. During the post-doctoral period, the doctor will enjoy a total of 25,000 academic exchanges for two years.
3) The research team can assist qualified post-doctoral applications for the “Guangdong Overseas Youth Postdoctoral Introduction Project”. That is, in the top 200 universities in the world (excluding the territory, ranking the world universities in the previous year, Thames, USNEWS, QS and Shanghai Jiaotong University), obtained a doctoral degree, and engaged in postdoctoral research in post-doctoral units in Guangdong Province. And promised to be a postdoctoral fellow who has been stationed for more than 2 years. After the successful application, the provincial finance will grant a subsidy of 600,000 yuan per post-doctoral post-doctoral aid. After receiving the project, he will sign a work agreement or labor contract with the Guangdong employer after exiting the station. After the post-doctoral commitment to work in Guangdong for more than three years, the provincial government will provide a subsidy of 400,000 yuan per person.
4) For outstanding post-doctoral fellows, they will actively recommend and assist them to apply for research assistant professors of Southern University of Science and Technology.
C. Application method:
Please send the application materials to the contact email email@example.com with the title "Post-doctoral application + name".
Application materials include: 1. Personal statement; 2. Resume; 3. Two representative academic papers
Your resume will be rigorously screened and scheduled for interview. Personal information will be kept strictly confidential and application materials will not be returned.
Long-term effective until the position is full.