Associate Professor Department of Physics
2004-2009 Ph.D. in Physics, Institute for Advanced Study, Tsinghua University
2000-2004 B.S. in Physics, Department of Physics, Sun Yat-Sen University
2017-Now: Associate Professor, Department of Physics, Southern University of Science and Technology
2015-2017: Professor, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
2013-2015: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Pittsburgh
2011-2013: JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Physics, University of Tokyo
2009-2011: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Physics, Tsinghua University
Honors & Awards
2011 JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Foreign Researchers
1. Zhi-Fang Xu, Li You, Andreas Hemmerich, and W. Vincent Liu, π-flux Dirac bosons and topological Bogoliubov edge excitations in a bosonic chiral p-wave superfluid, Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 085301 (2016).
2. Jinlong Yu, Zhi-Fang Xu*, Rong Lu, and Li You, Dynamical generation of topological magnetic lattices for ultracold atoms, Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 143003 (2016).
3. Xiaoke Li, Bing Zhu, Xiaodong He, Fudong Wang, Mingyang Guo, Zhi-Fang Xu, Shizhong Zhang, and Dajun Wang, Coherent heteronuclear spin dynamics in an ultracold spinor mixture, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 255301 (2015).
4. Zhi-Fang Xu, Xiaopeng Li, Peter Zoller, and W. Vincent Liu, Spontaneous quantum Hall effect in an atomic spinor Bose-Fermi mixture, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 125303 (2015).
5. Zhi-Fang Xu, Li You, and Masahito Ueda, Atomic spin-orbit coupling synthesized with magnetic-field-gradient pulses, Phys. Rev. A 87, 063634 (2013).
6. Z. F. Xu, Y. Kawaguchi, L. You, and M. Ueda, Symmetry classification of spin-orbit coupled spinor Bose-Einstein condensates, Phys. Rev. A 86, 033628 (2012).
7. Z. F. Xu and L. You, Dynamical generation of arbitrary spin-orbit couplings for neutral atoms, Phys. Rev. A 85, 043605 (2012).
8. Y. C. Liu, Z. F. Xu, G. R. Jin, and L. You, Spin Squeezing: Transforming One-Axis Twisting into Two-Axis Twisting, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 013601 (2011).
9. Z. F. Xu, R. Lü, and L. You, Emergent patterns in a spin-orbit-coupled spin-2 Bose-Einstein condensate, Phys. Rev. A 83, 053602 (2011).
10. Z. F. Xu, P. Zhang, R. Lü, and L. You, Quantum pump for countercirculation in a spinor Bose-Einstein condensate, Phys. Rev. A 81, 053619 (2010).
11. Z. F. Xu, Jie Zhang, Yunbo Zhang, and L. You, Quantum states of a binary mixture of spinor Bose-Einstein condensates, Phys. Rev. A 81, 033603 (2010).
12. Z. F. Xu, Yunbo Zhang, and L. You, Binary mixture of spinor atomic Bose-Einstein condensates, Phys. Rev. A 79, 023613 (2009).
The research in our group concentrates on the field of ultracold atomic quantum gases. At temperatures close to absolute zero neutral atoms offer an ultimate degree of control over all system parameters for us to explore the fascinating world of quantum many-body phenomena. We investigate bosonic, fermionic and mixed quantum gases in different trapping potentials, such as harmonic trap and optical lattice. Our group works at the forefront of current quantum gas research: synthetic gauge fields/spin-orbit coupling, quantum magnetism, topological states of quantum matter. We are also building a Rb-K lattice simulator to make our proposals become reality.