Chair Professor, Director of Center for Computational Science and Engineering Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering
Dr. Lian-Ping Wang received a Batchelor’s degree in Mechanics from Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China in 1984, and a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Washington State University, USA in 1990. He was then a Visiting Research Associate at Brown University, USA from 1990 to 1992, after which he was a Research Associate at Pennsylvania State University, USA from 1992 to 1994 and an Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Delaware, USA from 1994 to 2001. He became an Associate Professor in 2001 and a Professor in 2010 at the University of Delaware. In 2017, he was appointed a Chaired Professor at Southern University of Science and Technology, China. His main research interests include computational fluid dynamics, turbulence, particle-laden flow and immiscible multiphase flow. In recent years, he has focused on the mesoscopic CFD method based on Boltzmann equation and its application in direct numerical simulation of complex flows. Relevant applications include transport of colloids in saturated and unsaturated soil porous media, cloud microphysics, and modeling of complex flows. He has published over 130 refereed journal papers and delivered over 100 invited talks worldwide. Dr. Wang became an elected Fellow of American Physical Society in 2011 and an elected Fellow of American Society of Mechanical Engineers in 2016, and an Invitation Fellow of Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (9/2016 – 3/2017). Currently he also served as Affiliate Scientist of NCAR.
◆ Multiphase Flows
◆ Turbulent Flows
◆ Computational Fluid Dynamics
◆ Mesoscopic Methods
◆ High-Performance Computing
◆ Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Washington State University, USA, 1990
◆ B.S. in Mechanics, Zhejiang University, China, 1984
◆ 2018-present, Chair Professor, South University of Science and Technology
◆ 2009-present, Professor, University of Delaware, USA
◆ 2001-2009, Associate Professor, University of Delaware, USA
◆ 1994-2001, Assistant Professor, University of Delaware, USA
◆ 1992-1994, Research Associate, The Pennsylvania State University, USA
◆ 1990-1992, Visiting Research Associate, Brown University, USA
◆ Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2016
◆ Invitation Fellow, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, 2016
◆ Fellow, American Physical Society, 2011
◆ Distinguished Overseas Young Investigator Award, NSF of China, 2006
◆ Faculty Fellow, National Center for Atmospheric Research, 2005
◆ Francis Alison Young Scholars Award, University of Delaware, 1998
◆ Outstanding Teaching Award, University of Delaware, 1996
The full list is available at：http://research.me.udel.edu/~lwang/publications.html
Professor Wang's Google Scholar Profile
Professor Wang's Research Gate Profile
Conventional (continuum) CFD and mesoscopic CFD methods
Compressible flow and heat transfer, particle-laden flow, immiscible multiphase flow
Environmental and Engineering applications：cloud microphysics, flow through porous media, air-sea interactions, fluidized bed, sediment transport
High-performance computing, code optimization, hybrid integrated computing
MAE505/MAE403 Computational Fluid Dynamics（open to both undergraduates and graduate students）
Due to availability of high-speed computers and advanced algorithms, direct numerical simulation of complex flows along with theoretical analysis and physical experiments are considered the three pillars of fluid mechanics research. High-performance fluid-flow simulation is a rapidly evolving interdisciplinary field combining physics, mathematics, algorithms, computer science, and engineering. This course focuses on direct simulation methods of viscous fluid flows, including finite difference methods, finite volume methods, and Boltzmann equation-based mesoscopic methods; numerical convergence, physical accuracy and stability analysis; and programming experience with Fortran code. This course trains system analysis skills and classroom presentation skills.
MAE7001/MAE321 Multiphase Flow（open to both undergraduates and graduate students）：
This course covers physical description of fluid-solid and fluid-fluid interfaces, diluted two-phase flow and dense two-phase flow with particles or droplets; local and average equations for mass, momentum and energy exchange, dimensionless parameters; numerical methods for two-phase flow and related industrial and environmental applications.
Publications Read More
PhD student Tao Chen have his first academic paper in Physics of Fluids
Chen Tao is the first author, Professor Liu Tianshu is the author of the communication, Professor Wang Lianping and Professor Chen Xie participated in the academic paper: "Relations between skin friction and other surface quantities in viscous flows", recently published in the journal Physics of Fluids (31, 107101 , 2019). This paper discusses the exact […]
Team members participate in GPU Hackathon conference held in Shenzhen Supercomputing Center
From August 12 to August 16, 2019, the "2019 GPU Hackathon Programming Acceleration Conference" jointly organized by NVIDIA Corporation, the National Center for Supercomputing Shenzhen, and the Supercomputing Center for Southern University of Science and Technology went smoothly at the National Center for Supercomputing Shenzhen Held. Teachers and students from Zhejiang University, University of Science […]
Professor Wang Lianping participates in the 16th International Conference on Engineering and Scientific Mesoscopic Methods (ICMMES 2019)
The 16th International Conference on Engineering and Scientific Mesoscopic Methods (ICMMES-2019) was held on July 22-26, 2019, at Heriot-Watt University Campus, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. Nearly 100 people from all over the world attended the conference to discuss the progress and application of the mesoscopic method. During the conference, Professor Lianping Wang gave three reports: (1) […]
Lab members Read More
- Annual salary: 300,000 RMB; Duration: 2 years.
Engaging in advanced and innovative research work;
Having gained outstanding academic achievements in research areas concerned;
Having made excellent achievements as a doctoral student;
Priority will be given to those received a Ph.D. from renowned universities outside mainland China.
- Annual salary: at least 250,000 RMB (including the subsidies granted by Finance Commission of Shenzhen Municipal: 120,000/year).
- Competitive benefits similar to the package offered to the SUSTech teaching and administrative staff.
- Requirements: Having made excellent achievements as a doctoral student.
- Students will receive their education in SUSTech and universities outside mainland China: HKU (The University of Hong Kong), HKUSK (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology), NUS (National University of Singapore), University of Macau, HKBU (Hong Kong Baptist University), The University of Queensland, Temple University.
- Students will be granted diplomas by universities outside mainland China.
- Students will be educated in two universities, supervised by two supervisors and guided by both of them to make their research plans.
- Generous amount of scholarship and student subsidies will be provided.
- SUSTech and HIT (Harbin Institute of Technology) co-recruit and co-educate students applying for doctoral degree.
- Students will receive generous amount of scholarship and student subsidies.
- Students have chances to go to universities outside mainland China as exchange students and receive assistance from Student Entrepreneurship Foundation and Student Entrepreneurship Innovation Platform.
- Student recruitment: students may contact Professor Wang to initiate the application.
- SUSTech and HIT co-educate undergraduates applying for Master’s degree, and they need to first take the GEE.
- Joint-supervised student will be granted generous scholarship and student subsidies.
- Students have chances to go to universities outside mainland China as exchange students, receive assistance from Student Entrepreneurship Foundation and Student Entrepreneurship Innovation Platform.
- Students applying for other universities and having passed the admission requirements are permitted to apply.
If you are interested, please send your detailed resume to the email : email@example.com, the title of the resume, please indicate: name + graduate + professional + application post.