Associate Professor Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Prof. CHEN Rui is the recipient of the Recruitment Program of Young Global Experts” (known as “the Yong Thousand Talents Plan”) and Shenzhen Peacock Plan B). His main research areas including laser spectroscopy, investigation of the optical properties of materials, optical microcavity and micro/nano laser, etc. Prof. CHEN Rui has published more than 100 papers in world leading journals like Advanced Materials, Nano Letters, Small, Applied Physics Letters, and 12 of the papers were selected as the cover page. From SCI data base, his entire publications have been cited for over 3500 times with an h-index of 36. Currently, he is the PI and collaborator for more than 10 research programs.
ACADEMIC & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
Doctor of Philosophy, Division of Physics and Applied Physics, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Physics, Xiamen University, P. R. China
Bachelor of Science, Department of Physics, Xiamen University, P. R. China
Associate Professor, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology, P. R. China
Research Fellow, Division of Physics and Applied Physics, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Project Officer, Division of Physics and Applied Physics, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Interaction between light and matter, includes exciton, carrier dynamics, carrier relaxation, surface plasmons.
Flexible optical resonator such as random cavity, fabry-pérot, whispering gallery mode, plasmonic cavity.
Applications for light emitting diode, photodetector, and ultra-sensitive sensors.
SUSTech Research Award for Young Scholar, 2017
Recipient of the Shenzhen Peacock Plan for Talents, 2015
Recipient of the 5th National One-Thousand Young Talents Program, 2014
Materials Research Society of Singapore (MRS-S), Gold Medal for Best PhD Thesis in Physics, 2012
Institute of Physics Singapore (IPS) Outstanding Poster Award, 2012
Nominated for Singapore Young Scientist Awards (YSA) 2012
Optical properties: based on spectroscopy techniques to explore and control the optical properties of materials
- Rui Chen, Q. L. Ye, T. C. He, V. D. Ta, Y. J. Ying, Y. Y. Tay, T. Wu*, and H. D. Sun*, “Exciton Localization and Optical Properties Improvement in Nanocrystal-Embedded ZnO Core-Shell Nanowires”, Nano Letters, 13 (2), 734-739, 2013
- Rui Chen, M. I. Bakti Utama, Z. P. Peng, B. Peng, Q. H. Xiong*, and H. D. Sun*, “Excitonic Properties and Near-Infrared Coherent Random Lasing in Vertically Aligned CdSe Nanowires”, Advanced Materials, 23 (11), 1404-1408, 2011
- Rui Chen, Q. L. Ye, T. C. He, T. Wu*, and H. D. Sun*, “Uniaxial Tensile Strain and Exciton-Phonon Coupling in Bent ZnO Nanowires”, Applied Physics Letters, 98 (24), 241916, 2011
- M. I. B. Utama, Z. P. Peng, Rui Chen, B. Peng, X. L. Xu, Y. Dong, L. M. Wong, S. Wang, H. D. Sun*, and Q. H. Xiong*, “Vertically Aligned Cadmium Chalcogenide Nanowire Arrays on Muscovite Mica: A Demonstration of Epitaxial Growth Strategy”, Nano Letters, 11 (8), 3051-3057, 2011
- Rui Chen, D. Li, B. Liu, Z. Peng, G. G. Gurzadyan, Q. Xiong*, and H. D. Sun*, “Optical and Excitonic Properties of Crystalline ZnS Nanowires: Toward Efficient Ultraviolet Emission at Room Temperature”, Nano Letters, 10 (12), 4956-4961, 2010
- Rui Chen, H. Y. Liu, and H. D. Sun*, “Electronic Energy Levels and Carrier Dynamics in InAs/InGaAs Dots-in-a-Well Structure Investigated by Optical Spectroscopy”, Journal of Applied Physics, 107 (1), 013513, 2010
- Rui Chen, G. Z. Xing, J. Gao, Z. Zhang, T. Wu*, and H. D. Sun*, “Characteristics of Ultraviolet Photoluminescence from High Quality Tin Oxide Nanowires”, Applied Physics Letters, 95 (6), 061908, 2009
Optical microcavity: development of various optical resonators and micro-nano lasers
- Rui Chen, V. D. Ta, and H. D. Sun*, “Bending-Induced Bidirectional Tuning of Whispering Gallery Mode Lasing from Flexible Polymer Fibers”, ACS Photonics, 1 (1), 11-16, 2014
- V. D. Ta, Rui Chen, L. Ma, Y. J. Ying, and H. D. Sun*, “Whispering Gallery Mode Microlasers and Refractive Index Sensing based on Single Polymer Fiber”, Laser & Photonics Reviews, 7 (1), 133-139, 2013
- Rui Chen, T. Van Duong, and H. D. Sun*, “Single Mode Lasing from Hybrid Hemispherical Microresonators”, Scientific Reports, 2, 244, 2012
- V. D. Ta,* Rui Chen,* and H. D. Sun, “Self-Assembled Flexible Microlasers”, Advanced Materials, 24 (10), OP60-OP64, 2012
- Rui Chen, B. Ling, X. W. Sun*, and H. D. Sun*, “Room Temperature Excitonic Whispering Gallery Mode Lasing from High-Quality Hexagonal ZnO Microdisks”, Advanced Materials, 23 (19), 2199-2204, 2011
- Rui Chen, H. D. Sun*, T. Wang, K. N. Hui, and H. W. Choi*, “Optically Pumped Ultraviolet Lasing From Nitride Nanopillars at Room Temperature”, Applied Physics Letters, 96 (24), 241101, 2010
Optoelectronic devices: design and preparation of various optoelectronic devices
- V. D. Ta, Rui Chen, and H. D. Sun*, “Coupled Polymer Microfiber Lasers for Single Mode Operation and Enhanced Refractive Index Sensing”, Advanced Optical Materials, 2 (3), 220-225, 2014
- Rui Chen, V. D. Ta, F. Xiao, Q. Y. Zhang, and H. D. Sun*, “Multicolor Hybrid Upconversion Nanoparticles and Their Improved Performance as Luminescence Temperature Sensors Due to Energy Transfer”, Small, 9 (7), 1052-1057, 2013
- T. He, W. Wei, L. Ma, Rui Chen, S. Wu, H. Zhang, Y. Yang, J. Ma, L. Huang*, G. G. Gurzadyan*, and H. D. Sun*, “Mechanism Studies on the Superior Optical Limiting Observed in Graphene Oxide Covalently Functionalized with Upconversion NaYF4:Yb3+/Er3+ Nanoparticles”, Small, 8 (14), 2163-2168, 2012
- Y. F. Li, W. J. Yin, R. Deng, Rui Chen, J. Chen, Q. Y. Yan, B. Yao, H. D. Sun, S. H. Wei, and T. Wu*, “Realizing a SnO2-Based Ultraviolet Light-Emitting Diode via Breaking the Dipole Forbidden Rule”, NPG Asia Materials, 4, e30, 2012
- C. Cheng, B. Liu, H. Yang, W. Zhou, L. Sun, Rui Chen, S. F. Yu, J. Zhang, H. Gong, H. Sun, and H. J. Fan*, “Hierarchical Assembly of ZnO Nanostructures on SnO2 Backbone Nanowires: Low-Temperature Hydrothermal Preparation and Optical Properties”, ACS Nano, 3 (10), 3069-3076, 2009
- Rui Chen, D. H. Li, Q. Xiong, and H. D. Sun, “Optical and Excitonic Properties of Crystalline ZnS Nanowires”, in Book Series on “Characterization Tools for Nanoscience & Nanotechnology”, Second Volume “VU-VIS and Photoluminescence Spectroscopy for Nanomaterials Characterization”, edited by Challa Kumar, Springer-Verlag, ISBN 978-3-642-27593-7, 2013
- Rui Chen, V. D. Ta, and H. D. Sun, “Whispering Gallery Mode in ZnO with Hexagonal Cross Section”, in “Handbook of Optical Microcavities”, edited by Anthony H. W. Choi, Pan Stanford Publishing, ISBN 978-9-81446-324-9, 2014
- Rui Chen, H. D. Sun, and V. D. Ta, “Hemispherical Microstructure Arrays for GaN-Based Light Emitting Diodes and Method for Forming The Arrays”, Singapore, World Intellectual Property Organization, PCT/SG2013/000147
- H. D. Sun, Rui Chen, and V. D. Ta, “Self-Assembled Flexible Dome Shape Microstructure Arrays for GaN-Based Light-Emitting Diodes”, United State, The United States Patent & Trademark Office, 61/625,392
Optical Property: Investigation of Carrier Dynamic; Excitonic Property; Energy Transfer
Optical Microcavity: Fabry-Pérot Cavity; Random Cavity; Whispering Gallery
Photonic Device: Light Emitting Diode; Temperature Sensor; Refractive Index Sensor
Publications Read More
Ministry of IIT Consumer Products Dept comes to SUSTech
With the increased importance of Micro-LEDs for industry, Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) welcomed a delegation from the Consumer Products Department (CPD) of the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT). The delegation was led by CPD Deputy Director Wang Zhong and was joined by high-ranking officials from the Shenzhen Municipal Government and […]
The 1st International conference on vibration and energy harvesting application (VEH 2018) Held at SUSTech
Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) was the host venue for the 1st International conference on vibration and energy harvesting application (VEH 2018). More than 100 experts and scholars gathered at SUSTech to discuss the latest research on vibration energy collection. SUSTech’s Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering was the organizer of the Conference, which […]
Global Scientist Interdisciplinary Forum·2019
I. Introduction The Global Scientist Interdisciplinary Forum at Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) is an important conference for talent recruitment. It aims to provide a platform for academic exchanges among young scholars at home and abroad, to promote interdisciplinary and academic innovation, and discuss the approach for the construction of world-class universities and disciplines. Through the recruitment […]
Lab members Read More
Prof. Rui CHEN’s group（http://eee.sustc.edu.cn/p/chenrui）at Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) has opening postdoc positions, and we are pleased to announce our open postdoc position for doing research related to:
1) nanoscale optics, plasmonics, and design / preparation of low-dimensional luminescent material
2) Laser spectroscopy / semiconductor or material optics
3) Micro-nano resonator / micro-nano laser
4) Micro-nano processing (ebl/fib, etc.)
5) Sensing technology
and other related optics.
- Essential requirements
- Candidates are required to have good background in the Physics or Optics areas, or other related background, and those who with or be about to have a Ph.D. will be priority accepted.
- Love scientific research, have a high degree of initiative, diligence and teamwork spirit; have strong initiative and self-learning ability.
- Those who have published high-level articles in international level publications in relevant professional fields or have overseas research experience are preferred.
- Candidates are expected to be good at English writing and communication. Meanwhile, the candidates should be able to complete the research papers , and have strong initiative and self-learning ability.
To get yourself more sense of what research work we do, please visit the following websites for more information:
Applicants should send your Detailed CV, including experiences in study, work, and research, major research findings (such as essays, certificate of achievement, or rewards), and other materials that can prove your ability to work via email to Prof. Rui CHEN (email@example.com ).
(mail title: graduation school + name + Postdoc)