Associate Professor Department of Chemistry, Grubbs Institute
Dr. (Oscar) Lung Wa Chung received his B.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees under
the supervision of Prof. Yun-Dong Wu at Hong Kong University of
Science and Technology in 2000 and 2006, respectively. He then
joined a new group of Prof. Keiji Morokuma at Fukui Institute for
Fundamental Chemistry (FIFC), Kyoto University, as a postdoctoral
fellow. He sadly gave up a postdoctoral offer from Prof. Martin Karplus
in 2012, since he started an independent position in 2013. In 2013,
he started his independent position as tenure-track Assistant Professor at Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech). He was promoted to Associate Professor in 2018 (Jan). He is very proud to follow four of the best computational chemistry families.
Dr. Oscar Lung Wa Chung currently works at the Department of Chemistry, Southern University of Science and Technology. Oscar does research in Multi-Scale Simulations of Complex Chemistry, Catalysis (thermal and photo-induced) and Biochemistry.
1. 2006 Ph.D. in Chemistry, The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology (Supervisor: Prof. Yun-Dong Wu).
Thesis: “Computational Studies of the Reaction Mechanisms and Stereochemistry of Metal-Mediated Organic Reactions”
2. 2003 M. Phil. in Chemistry, The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology (Supervisor: Prof. Yun-Dong Wu).
Thesis: “Theoretical Studies on Organometallic Reaction in Water and Mechanism and Stereochemistry of Hydrosilylation and Hydroacylation Reactions”
3. 2000 B. Sc. in Chemistry (1st Hon.), The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology. (GGA: A)
1. 2018 Feb-present Researcher/Associate Professor (tenure-track), Department of Chemistry, Southern University of Science and Technology
2. 2013 Oct-2018 Jan Associate Researcher/Assistant Professor (tenure-track), Department of Chemistry, Southern University of Science and Technology
3. 2006-2013 Postdoctoral Fellow, Fukui Institute for Fundamental Chemistry, Kyoto University (Advisor: Prof. Keiji Morokuma).
4. June-July 1999 Research Assistant, Department of Chemistry, The University of Hong Kong (Supervisor: Dr. Tao Ye)
1. 2014 Overseas High-Caliber Personnel from Shenzhen: Peacock Plan Awardee
2. 2006-2010 Fukui Fellowship
3. M.Phil. & Ph.D. Postgraduate Studentship
4. 2000 The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Academic Achievement Medal Swire University Scholarship
5. 1997-2000 Swire University Scholarship
6. 1997-2000 Dean's List
(Fall & Spring)
His research interests focus on multi-scale simulations of complex homogeneous catalysis on chemical, and biochemical systems, including sustainable/bio-inspired catalysis, biocatalysis, photochemistry and development of multi-scale simulation methods. Some of our proposed new mechanisms were supported or verified by experiments. Two of our proposed mechanisms can be collected and discussed in 《Organotransition Metal Chemistry》textbook and 《Encyclopedia of Biophysics》.
He published 67 papers (e.g. 1*Chem. Rev., 1*Acc. Chem. Res., 17*J. Am. Chem. Soc., 3*Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 3*Nat. Commun., 5*Chem. Sci., 4*ACS Catal., 5*JPC, 4*J. Chem. Theory Comput., 4*OL, 2*CC, 1*IC) as well as 3 Wiley book chapters. His Web of Science citations (Dec 2019) > 2450 (~2350 citations excluding self-citations)，H-index: 27.
General Chemistry A
Computational Chemistry (partly): 2013