Associate Professor Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering
Dr Yu Liu received his BSc and MSc from Beihang University, and PhD from the University of Cambridge. Prior to joining the Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering at SUSTech in 2016, he was a Research Associate at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the University of Cambridge, and then an Assistant Professor in Aerospace Engineering at the University of Surrey. Dr Liu serves as the Director of the “Advanced Aerodynamics and Aeroacoustics Laboratory” (A3 Lab) since 2017, and the Deputy Dean of Zhicheng College, SUSTech for academic affairs since 2019.
Dr Liu was awarded the Gates Cambridge Scholarship and the Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Students Abroad, and was elected to the Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK) and Senior Member of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics in 2014. He is also a recipient of the Overseas High-Calibre Personnel of Shenzhen (Peacock Program) in 2017.
- 2004 – 2008 PhD in Aeronautical Engineering, University of Cambridge
- 2001 – 2004 MSc in Aerospace Engineering, Beihang University
- 1997 – 2001 BSc in Aerospace Engineering, Beihang University
- 2016/11 – Present Associate Professor, Southern University of Science and Technology
- 2012/10 – 2016/09 Assistant Professor in Aerospace Engineering, University of Surrey
- 2009/11 – 2012/09 Research Associate, University of Cambridge
- 2008/09 – 2009/02 Research Associate, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Honors & Awards
- 2016 Best Student Paper nomination for the 23rd International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV)
- 2008 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Students Abroad
- 2004 – 2008 Gates Cambridge Scholarship (GCS)
- 2004 – 2007 Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS)
- 2014/08 – Present Senior member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- 2014/12 – Present Fellow, Higher Education Academy of UK
- 2015/10 – Present Referee for research funding agencies
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC, UK),
- Technology Foundation STW (The Netherlands),
- Junior Research Fellowship (Churchill College, University of Cambridge), etc.
- 2011/04 – Present Peer review for > 10 journals and conferences
- AIAA J, J Sound Vib, J Fluid Struct, J Propul Power, Aerosp Sci Technol, Compos Struct,
- AIAA Aeroacoustics, ASME Turbo Expo, etc.
Research areas: aeroacoustics, flow/noise control, vibroacoustics, and flow/noise testing techniques.
Course leader: Fluid Mechanics Lab (UG Y3), Jet Propulsion (UG Y3), Aeroacoustics (Graduate, UG Y4)
Course participant: Introduction to Aerospace and Mechanics (UG Y1/2), Frontier Seminars on Mechanics (Graduate)
Publications Read More
Dr Li's paper appears in Applied Mathematics and Computation
Dr Zhiyong Li' paper on compressible porous-fluid coupling method in an aerodynamics and aeroacoustics code (Part II: Turbulent flow) appears in Applied Mathematics and Computation (JCR Q1, IF: 3.092). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2019.124988
Dr Elias Arcondoulis' paper appears in Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
Dr Elias Arcondoulis' paper on 'An array paring method for localizing distributed sources by acoustic beamforming' is published online in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (JCR Q2, IF: 1.819). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0000496
Dr Yannian Yang' paper appears in AIAA Journal
Dr Yannian Yang's paper on 'Aerodynamic and Aeroacoustic Performance of an Isolated Multicopter Rotor During Forward Flight' is published online in AIAA Journal (JCR Q2, IF: 1.951). DOI: https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J058459
Lab members Read More
We have various openings in the “Advanced Aerodynamics and Aeroacoustics Laboratory” (A3 lab) for postdoctoral researchers, research assistants, visiting scholars/postgraduates, and PhD programs with internationally competitive salary. Students and researchers interested in aeroacoustics and flow/noise control (with background in fluid, acoustics, mechanics, etc.) are encouraged to get in touch and join our lab. Please send a cover letter explaining your qualifications and research plan for the position, a CV with a list of publications, and the contact details of two referees to the email: email@example.com.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Applicants should be of outstanding quality and exceptionally motivated, and should have
- a PhD degree in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering, Acoustics, Mechanics or a closely related discipline;
- strong and demonstrated experience in aeroacoustics, flow/noise control or related fields;
- good publications in peer-reviewed top journals;
- preferably practical experience of aerodynamic and acoustic testing systems (e.g. wind tunnel, anechoic chamber) as well as CFD simulations.
Salary and benefits
- The positions are for two years initially, renewable depending on funding availability;
- Annual salary ~ 275k RMB (~ £31k or $41k), including housing & dining stipends and festival bonus, plus contributions to superannuation, medical insurance, etc.;
- Outstanding candidates can apply for the Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship with annual salary of 345k RMB (~ £39k or $51k);
- A travel grant of 25,000 RMB in two years for attending academic conferences and workshops, etc.
SUSTech Presidential PhD Fellowships
SUSTech offers the Presidential PhD Fellowship to full-time PhD students with excellent research potential. This prestigious Fellowship provides a basic annual stipend of RMB 80,000 plus a performance-based award of RMB 20,000 per year for around 50% of the Fellowship holders for a maximum period of 4 years.
- Applicants should be of outstanding quality and exceptionally motivated, and should have
- Applicants must possess a Master’s degree.
- Applicants should have graduated from a leading university in a country/region, and have demonstrated outstanding potential for research excellence.
- Communication and interpersonal skills as well as leadership abilities are also important criteria for the selection of Fellowship recipients.
- English language requirements: TOEFL 80 or above; or IELTS 6.0 overall or above, with no sub-scores lower than 5.5.
Please refer to the Admission to the PhD programmes at the Graduate School for more information on tuition and accommodation fees, how to apply, evaluation and admission, and visa application and registration.