1. Zonghai Sheng, Yaxi Li, Dehong Hu, Tianliang Min, Duyang Gao, Jen-Shyang Ni, Pengfei Zhang, Yuenan Wang, Xin Liu, Kai Li.* Hairong Zheng,* Ben Zhong Tang.* Centimeter-deep NIR-II fluorescence imaging with nontoxic AIE probes in non-human primates. Research 2020, Accepted (Article ID 4074593).
2. Menglei Zha,† Xiangwei Lin,† Jen-Shyang Ni,†,* Yaxi Li, Yachao Zhang, Xun Zhang, Lidai Wang,* Kai Li.* An ester-substituted semiconducting polymer with efficient nonradiative decay enhances NIR-II photoacoustic performance for monitoring of tumor growth. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, doi: 10.1002/anie.202010228 (†contributed equally).
3. Yaxi Li,† Dehong Hu,† Zonghai Sheng, Tianliang Min, Menglei Zha, Jen-Shyang Ni, Hairong Zheng,* Kai Li.* Self-assembled AIEgen nanoparticles for multiscale NIR-II vascular imaging. Biomaterials 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2020.120365 (†contributed equally).
4.Xuanyu Li,† Menglei Zha,† Yaxi Li, Jen-Shyang Ni, Tianliang Min, Tianyi Kang, Guang Yang, Hao Tang, Kai Li.* Xingyu Jiang.* Sub-10 nm aggregation-induced emission quantum dots assembled by microfluidics for enhanced tumor-targeting and reduced retention in the liver. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, doi: 10.1002/anie.202008564 (†contributed equally).
5.Jen-Shyang Ni,† Xun Zhang,† Guang Yang, Tianyi Kang, Xiangwei Lin, Menglei Zha, Yaxi Li, Lidai Wang, Kai Li.* Photoinduced nonadiabatic decay-guided molecularmotor triggers effective photothermal conversion for hyperthermia cancer therapy. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, doi: 10.1002/ange.202002516 (†contributed equally).
6.Jen-Shyang Ni,† Tianliang Min,† Yaxi Li, Menglei Zha, Pengfei Zhang, Chun Loong Ho, Kai Li.* Planar AIEgens with Enhanced Solid-State Luminescence and ROS-Generation for Multidrug-Resistant Bacteria Treatment. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, doi:10.1002/anie.202001103 (†contributed equally).
7.Jen-Shyang Ni,† Yaxi Li,† Wentong Yue, Bin Liu,* Kai Li.* Nanoparticle-based cell trackers for biomedical applications. Theranostics 2020, 10, 1923-1947. (†contributed equally).
1.Qiyao Li,† Ying Li,† Tianliang Min,† Junyi Gong, Lili Du, David Lee Phillips, Junkai Liu, Jacky W. Y. Lam, Herman H. Y. Sung, Ian D. Williams, Ryan T. K. Kwok, Chun Loong Ho, Kai Li, Jianguo Wang,* Ben Zhong Tang.* Time‐dependent photodynamic therapy for multiple targets: a highly efficient AIE‐active photosensitizer for selective bacterial elimination and cancer cell ablation. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2019, doi:10.1002/anie.201909706 (†contributed equally).
2.Huaxiao Yang,* Xulei Qin, Huiyuan Wang, Xin Zhao, Yonggang Liu, Hung-Ta Wo, Chun Liu, Masataka Nishiga, Haodong Chen, Jing Ge, Nazish Sayed, Oscar J. Abilez, Dan Ding, Sarah C. Heilshorn, Kai Li.* An in vivo miRNA delivery system for restoring infarcted myocardium. ACS Nano 2019, 13, 9880-9894.
3.Guorui Jin, Rongyan He, Qian Liu, Min Lin, Yuqing Dong, Kai Li, Ben Zhong Tang, Bin Liu, Feng Xu. Near-infrared light-regulated cancer theranostic nanoplatform based on aggregation-induced emission luminogen encapsulated upconversion nanoparticles. Theranostics 2019, 9, 246-264.
4.Xin-Chi Jiang, Jia-Jia Xiang, Hong-Hui Wu, Tian-Yuan Zhang, Dan-Ping Zhang, Qian-Hao Xu, Xiao-Li Huang, Xiang-Lei Kong, Ji-Hong Sun, Yu-Lan Hu, Kai Li, Yasuhiko Tabata, You-Qing Shen, Jian-Qing Gao. Neural stem cells transfected with reactive oxygen species-responsive polyplexes for effective treatment of ischemic stroke. Adv. Mater. 2019, 31, 1807591.
1. Xulei Qin,† Haodong Chen,† Huaxiao Yang,† Haodi Wu, Xin Zhao, Huiyuan Wang, Tony Chour,Evgenios Neofytou, Dan Ding, Heike Daldrup-Link, Sarah C. Heilshorn, Kai Li,* Joseph C. Wu,*Photoacoustic imaging of embryonic stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes in living hearts with ultrasensitive semiconducting polymer nanoparticles, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2018, 28, 1704939.(*corresponding author, †contributed equally).
2. Xiang Ni, Shaorui Jia, Xingchen Duan, Dan Ding,* Kai Li,* Fluorescent nanoparticles for noninvasive stem cell tracking in regenerative medicine. J. Biomed. Nanotechnol. 2018, 14, 240-256 (Invited Review).
1. Kai Li,* Hossein Nejadnik, Heike E. Daldrup-Link,* Next generation superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles for cancer theranostics. Drug Discov. Today 2017, 22, 1421-1429 (*corresponding author, Invited Review).
2. Guorui Jin, Jun Li, Kai Li,* Photosensitive semiconducting polymer-incorporated nanofibers for promoting the regeneration of skin wound. Mater. Sci. Eng. C 2017, 70, 1176-1181 (*corresponding author).
3. Suchismita Mohanty, Zixin Chen, Kai Li, Goreti Ribeiro Morais, Jessica Klockow, Ketan Yerneni, Laura Pisani, Frederick T. Chin, Siddhartha Mitra, Samuel Cheshier, Edwin Chang, Sanjiv Sam Gambhir, Jianghong Rao, Paul M. Loadman, Robert A. Falconer, Heike E. Daldrup-Link, A novel theranostic strategy for MMP-14 expressing glioblastomas impacts survival. Mol.Cancer Ther. 2017, 16, 1909-1921.
4. Hossein Nejadnik,† Seyedmeghdad Taghavigarmestani,† Steven Madsen, Kai Li, Saeid Zanganeh,Phillip Yang, Morteza Mahmoudi, Heike E. Daldrup-Link, The protein corona around nanoparticles facilitates stem cell labeling for clinical MRI. Radiology 2017, DOI:10.1148/radiol.2017170130 (†contributed equally).
1. Guorui Jin, Guangxue Feng, Wei Qin, Ben Zhong Tang, Bin Liu,* Kai Li,* Multifunctional organic nanoparticles with aggregation-induced emission (AIE) characteristics for targeted photodynamic therapy and RNA interference therapy. Chem. Commun. 2016, 52, 2752-2755(*corresponding author).
2. Shengjie Peng, Guorui Jin, Linlin Li, Kai Li, Madhavi Srinivasan, Seeram Ramakrishna, Jun Chen, Multi-functional electrospun nanofibres for advances in tissue regeneration, energyconversion & storage, and water treatment. Chem. Soc. Rev. 2016, 45, 1225-1241.
1. Guorui Jin, Duo Mao, Pingqiang Cai, Rongrong Liu, Nikodem Tomczak, Jie Liu, Xiaodong Chen, Deling Kong, Dan Ding,* Bin Liu,* Kai Li,* Conjugated polymer nanodots as ultrastable longterm trackers to understand mesenchymal stem cell therapy in skin regeneration. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2015, 25, 4263-4273 (Frontispiece Story, *corresponding author).
2. Jie Liu, Kai Li,* Bin Liu,* Far-red/near-infrared conjugated polymer nanoparticles for long-term in-situ monitoring of liver tumor growth. Adv. Sci. 2015, 2, 1500008 (*corresponding author).
3. Ghayathri Balasundaram, Chris Jun Hui Ho, Kai Li, Wouter Driessen, U. S. Dinish, Chi Lok Wong, Vasilis Ntziachristos, Bin Liu, Malini Olivo, Molecular photoacoustic imaging of breast cancer using an actively targeted conjugated polymer. Inter. J. Nanomedicine 2015, 10, 387-397.
4. Dan Kai, Zhi Wei Low, Sing Shy Liow, Anis Abdul Karim, Hongye Ye, Guorui Jin, Kai Li, Xian Jun Loh, Development of lignin supramolecular hydrogels with mechanically responsive and selfhealing properties. ACS Sustain. Chem. Eng. 2015, 3, 2160-2169.
4. Lu Peng, Meng Gao, Xiaolei Cai, Ruoyu Zhang, Kai Li, Guangxue Feng, Aijun Tong, Bin Liu, A fluorescent light-up probe based on AIE and ESIPT processes for beta-galactosidase activity detection and visualization in living cells. J. Mater. Chem. B 2015, 3, 9168-9172.
5. Kai Li, Bin Liu, Polymer-encapsulated organic nanoparticles for fluorescence and photoacoustic imaging. Chem. Soc. Rev. 2014, 43, 6570-6597.
6. Dan Ding,†Duo Mao,† Kai Li,† Xiaomin Wang, Wei Qin, Rongrong Liu, David Shunzhong Chiam, Nikodem Tomczak, Zhimou Yang, Ben Zhong Tang, Deling Kong, Bin Liu (†contributed equally), Precise and long-term tracking of adipose-derived stem cells and their regenerative capacity via superb bright and stable organic nanodots. ACS Nano 2014, 8, 12620-12631.
7. Guorui Jin, Kai Li,* The electrically conductive scaffold as the skeleton of stem cell niche in regenerative medicine. Mater. Sci. Eng. C 2014, 45, 671-681 (Invited Review, *correspondingauthor).
8. Kai Li,†Mie Yamamoto,†Su Jing Chan, Mun Yee Chiam, Wei Qin, Peter Tsun Hon Wong, Evelyn King Fai Yim, Ben Zhong Tang, Bin Liu, Organic nanoparticles with aggregation-induced emission for tracking bone marrow stromal cells in the rat ischemic stroke model. Chem. Comm. 2014, 50, 15136-15139 (Cover Story, †contributed equally).
9. Guangxue Feng,† Kai Li,†Jie Liu, Dan Ding, Bin Liu, Bright single-chain conjugated polymer dots embedded nanoparticles for long-term cell tracing and imaging. Small 2014, 10, 1212-1219(†contributed equally).
10. Wei Qin,† Kai Li,†Guangxue Feng, Min Li, Zhiyong Yang, Bin Liu, Ben Zhong Tang, Bright and photostable organic fluorescent dots with aggregation-induced emission characteristics fornoninvasive long-term cell imaging. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2014, 24, 635-643 (†contributed equally).
11. Junlong Geng, Kai Li, Wei Qin, Ben Zhong Tang, Bin Liu, Red-emissive chemiluminescent nanoparticles with aggregation-induced emission characteristics for in vivo hydrogen peroxide imaging. Part. Part. Syst. Charact. 2014, 31, 1238-1243.
12. Youyong Yuan, Dan Ding, Kai Li, Jie Liu, Bin Liu, Tumor-responsive fluorescent light-up probe based on gold nanoparticle/conjugated polyelectrolyte hybrid. Small 2014, 11, 1967-1975. (CoverStory)
13. Zibiao Li, Beng H. Tan, Guorui Jin, Kai Li, Chaobin He, Design of polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane (POSS) based thermo-responsive amphiphilic hybrid copolymers for thermallydenatured protein protection applications. Poly. Chem. 2014, 5, 6740-6753.
14. Guangxue Feng, Dan Ding, Kai Li, Jie Liu, Bin Liu, Reversible photoswitching conjugated polymer nanoparticles for cell and ex vivo tumor imaging. Nanoscale 2014, 6, 4141-4147.
1. Kai Li, Wei Qin, Dan Ding, Nikodem Tomczak, Junlong Geng, Rongrong Liu, Jianzhao Liu, Xinhai Zhang, Hongyu Liu, Bin Liu, Ben Zhong Tang, Photostable fluorescent organic dots with aggregation-induced emission (AIE dots) for noninvasive long-term cell tracing. Sci. Rep. 2013, 3, 1150 (Highlighted by Nature News).
2. Kai Li, Dan Ding, Prashant Chandrasekharan, Wei Qin, Chang-Tong Yang, Ben Zhong Tang, Bin Liu, Gadolinium-functionalized aggregation-induced emission dots as dual-modality probes for cancer metastasis study. Adv. Healthcare Mater. 2013, 2, 1600-1605.
3. Kai Li, Zhenshu Zhu, Zujin Zhao, Nikodem Tomczak, Pingqiang Cai, Rongrong Liu, Jie Liu, Wei Qin, Yong Hu, Xiaodong Chen, Ben Zhong Tang, Bin Liu, Organic dots with aggregation-induced emission (AIE dots) characteristics for dual-color cell tracing. Chem. Mater. 2013, 25, 4181-4187.
4. Kai Li, Dan Ding, QiuLi Zhao, JingZhi Sun, B. Z. Tang, B. Liu, Biocompatible organic dots with aggregation-induced emission for in vitro and in vivo fluorescence imaging. Sci. China Chem. 2013, 56, 1228-1233.
5. Dan Ding, Kai Li, Bin Liu, Ben Zhong Tang, Bioprobes based on AIE fluorogens. Acc. Chem. Res. 2013, 46, 2441-2453.
6. Jing Liang, Kai Li, Bin Liu, Visual sensing with conjugated polyelectrolytes. Chem. Sci. 2013, 4, 1377-1394 (Invited Review).
7. Jie Liu, Kai Li, Junlong Geng, Li Zhou, Prashant Chandrasekharan, Chang-Tong Yang, Bin Liu, Single molecular hyperbranched nanoprobes for fluorescence and magnetic resonance dual modal imaging. Poly. Chem. 2013, 4, 1517-1524.
8. Junlong Geng, Kai Li, Wei Qin, Lin Ma, Gagik G. Gurzadyan, Ben Zhong Tang, Bin Liu, Eccentric loading of fluorogen with aggregation-induced emission in PLGA matrix increases nanoparticle fluorescence quantum yield for targeted cellular imaging. Small 2013, 9, 2012-2019.
9. Dan Ding, Kai Li, Wei Qin, Ruoyu Zhan, Yong Hu, Jianzhao Liu, Ben Zhong Tang, Bin Liu, Conjugated polymer amplified far-red/near-infrared fluorescence from nanoparticles with aggregation-induced emission characteristics for targeted in vivo imaging. Adv. Health. Mater. 2013, 2, 500-507 (Cover Story).
10. Dan Ding, Jie Liu, Guangxue Feng, Kai Li, Yong Hu, Bin Liu, Bright far-red/near-infrared conjugated polymer nanoparticles for in vivo bioimaging. Small 2013, 9, 3093-3102.
1. Kai Li, Dan Ding, Da Huo, Kan-Yi Pu, Ngo Nguyen Phuong Thao, Yong Hu, Zhi Li, Bin Liu, Conjugated polymer based nanoparticles as dual-modal probes for targeted in vivo fluorescence and magnetic resonance imaging. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2012, 22, 3107-3115.
2. Kai Li, Bin Liu, Polymer encapsulated conjugated polymer nanoparticles for fluorescence bioimaging. J. Mater. Chem. 2012, 22, 1257-1264.
3. Junlong Geng,† Kai Li,†Dan Ding, Xinhai Zhang, Wei Qin, Jianzhao Liu, Ben Zhong Tang, Bin Liu, Lipid-PEG-folate encapsulated nanoparticles with aggregation induced emission characteristics: cellular uptake mechanism and two-photon fluorescence imaging. Small 2012, 8, 3655-3663 (†contributed equally).
3. Qiuli Zhao,† Kai Li,†Sijie Chen, Anjun Qin, Dan Ding, Shuang Zhang, Yi Liu, Bin Liu, Jing Zhi Sun, Ben Zhong Tang, Aggregation-induced red-NIR emission organic nanoparticles as effective and photostable fluorescent probes for bioimaging. J. Mater. Chem. 2012, 22, 15128-15135 (†contributed equally).
4. Junlong Geng, Kai Li, Kan-Yi Pu, Dan Ding, Bin Liu, Conjugated polymer and gold nanoparticle co-loaded PLGA nanocomposites with eccentric internal nanostructure for dual-modal targeted cellular imaging. Small 2012, 15, 2421-2429.
5. Jing Liang, Kai Li, Gagik G. Gurzadyan, Xianmao Lu, Bin Liu, Silver nanocube-enhanced farred/near-infrared fluorescence of conjugated polyelectrolyte for cellular imaging. Langmuir 2012, 28, 11302-11309.
6. Dan Ding, Guan Wang, Jianzhao Liu, Kai Li, Kan-Yi Pu, Yong Hu, Jason C. Y. Ng, Ben Zhong Tang, Bin Liu, Hyperbranched conjugated polyelectrolyte for dual-modality fluorescence and magnetic resonance cancer imaging. Small 2012, 8, 3523-3530.
7. Guan Wang, Xinhai Zhang, Junlong Geng, Kai Li, Dan Ding, Liping Cai, Yee-Hing Lai, Bin Liu, Glycosylated star-shaped conjugated oligomers for targeted two-photon fluorescence imaging. Chem. Eur. J. 2012, 18, 9705-9713.
8. Guan Wang, Junlong Geng, Xinhai Zhang, Liping Cai, Dan Ding, Kai Li, Long Wang, Yee-Hing Lai, Bin Liu, Pyrene-based water dispersible orange emitter for one- and two-photon fluorescence cellular imaging. Polym. Chem. 2012, 3, 2464-2470.
1. Kai Li, Yutao Liu, Kan-Yi Pu, Si-Shen Feng, Ruoyu Zhan, Bin Liu, Polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxanes-containing conjugated polymer loaded PLGA nanoparticles with Trastuzumab (Herceptin) functionalization for HER2-positive cancer cell detection. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2011, 21, 287-294 (Inside Front Cover Story).
2. Kai Li, Kan-Yi Pu, Liping Cai, Bin Liu, Phalloidin-functionalized hyperbranched conjugated polyelectrolyte for filamentous actin imaging in living Hela cells. Chem. Mater. 2011, 23, 2113-2119.
3. Kai Li, Yihua Jiang, Dan Ding, Xinhai Zhang, Yutao Liu, Jianli Hua, Si-Shen Feng, Bin Liu, Folic acid-functionalized two-photon absorbing nanoparticles for targeted MCF-7 cancer cell imaging. Chem. Comm. 2011, 47, 7323-7325 (Back Cover Story).
4. Kai Li, Ruoyu Zhan, Si-Shen Feng, Bin Liu, Conjugated polymer loaded nanospheres with surface functionalization for simultaneous discrimination of different live cancer cells under single wavelength excitation. Anal. Chem. 2011, 83, 2125-2132.
5. Yu Mi,† Kai Li,†Yutao Liu, Kan-Yi Pu, Bin Liu, Si-Shen Feng, Herceptin functionalized polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane-conjugated oligomers-silica/iron oxide nanoparticles for tumor cell sorting and detection. Biomaterials 2011, 32, 8226-8233 (†contributed equally).
6. Dan Ding, Kai Li, Zhenshu Zhu, Kan-Yi Pu, Yong Hu, Xiqun Jiang, Bin Liu, Conjugated polyelectrolyte-cisplatin complex nanoparticles for simultaneous in vivo imaging and drug tracking. Nanoscale 2011, 3, 1997-2002.
7. Dan Ding, Kan-Yi Pu, Kai Li, Bin Liu, Conjugated oligoelectrolyte-polyhedral oligomeric Silsesquioxane loaded pH-responsive nanoparticles for targeted fluorescence imaging of cancer cell nucleus. Chem. Commun. 2011, 47, 9837-9839.
8. Kan-Yi Pu, Zhentao Luo, Kai Li, Jianping Xie, Bin Liu, Energy transfer between conjugatedoligoelectrolyte-substituted POSS and gold nanocluster for multicolor intracellular detection of mercury ion. J. Phys. Chem. C 2011, 115, 13069-13075.
9. Kan-Yi Pu, Jianbing Shi, Liping Cai, Kai Li, Bin Liu. Affibody-attached hyperbranched conjugated polyelectrolyte for targeted fluorescence imaging of HER2-positive cancer cell. Biomacromolecules 2011, 12, 2966-2974.
10. Guan Wang, Kan-Yi Pu, Xinhai Zhang, Kai Li, Long Wang, Liping Cai, Dan Ding, Yee-Hing Lai, Bin Liu. Star-shaped glycosylated conjugated oligomer for two-photon fluorescence imaging of live cells. Chem. Mater. 2011, 23, 4428-4434.
1. Kai Li, Bin Liu, Water-soluble conjugated polymers as the platform for protein sensors. Polym.Chem. 2010, 1, 252-259 (Cover Story).
2. Kan-Yi Pu,† Kai Li,†Bin Liu, Multicolor conjugate polyelectrolyte/peptide complexes as selfassembled nanoparticles for receptor-targeted cellular imaging. Chem. Mater. 2010, 22, 6736-6741 (†contributed equally).
3. Kan-Yi Pu, Kai Li, Bin Liu, Cationic oligofluorene-substituted polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane as light-harvesting unimolecular nanoparticle for fluorescence amplification in cellular imaging. Adv. Mater. 2010, 22, 643-646.
4. Kan-Yi Pu, Kai Li, Xinhai Zhang, Bin Liu, Conjugated oligoelectrolyte harnessed polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane as light-up hybrid nanodot for two-photon fluorescence imaging of cellular nucleus. Adv. Mater. 2010, 22, 4186-4189.
5. Kan-Yi Pu, Kai Li, Bin Liu, A molecular brush approach to enhance quantum yield and suppress nonspecific interactions of conjugated polyelectrolyte for targeted far-red/near-infrared fluorescence cell imaging. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2010, 20, 2770-2777.
6. Yutao Liu, Kai Li, Jie Pan, Bin Liu, Si-Shen Feng, Folic acid conjugated nanoparticles of mixed lipid monolayer shell and biodegradable polymer core for targeted delivery of docetaxel. Biomaterials 2010, 31, 330-338.
7. Yutao Liu, Kai Li, Bin Liu, Si-Shen Feng, A strategy for precision engineering of nanoparticles of biodegradable copolymers for quantitative control of targeted drug delivery. Biomaterials 2010, 31, 9145-9155.
1. Kai Li, Jie Pan, Si-Shen Feng, Arthur Wenqing Wu, Kan-Yi Pu, Yutao Liu, Bin Liu, Generic strategy of preparing fluorescent conjugated polymer-loaded poly(DL-lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles for targeted cell imaging. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2009, 19, 3535-3542 (Frontispiece Story).
2. Kai Li, Bin Liu, Conjugated polyelectrolyte amplified thiazole orange emission for label free sequence specific DNA detection with single nucleotide polymorphism selectivity. Anal. Chem.2009, 81, 4099-4150.
3. Kan-Yi Pu, Kai Li, Jianbing Shi, Bin Liu, Fluorescent single-molecular core-shell nanospheres of hyperbranched conjugated polyelectrolyte for live-cell imaging. Chem. Mater. 2009, 21, 3816-3822.