Research Associate Professor School of Environmental Science and Engineering
Xiuyu Liang, Research Associate Professor, Ph.D. Nanjing University. Before he joined SUSTech, he was an Research Associate of the Center for Hydrosciences Research at Nanjing University. His research interests include the temporal scaling of subsurface flow and solute transport in watersheds, the coupling unsaturated-saturated flow, the interaction between the surface-groundwater flow, and the residence time distribution of groundwater flow. He has been the PI/Co-PI of more than 10 funded projects. He is the first and/or corresponding authors of 23 SCI papers. The most of the papers published on top-tier SCI journals, including “Water Resources Research” and “Water Research”. He has served as associate editor for two hydrology and water resource journals “Stoch Environ Res Risk Assess” and “Vadose Zone Journal”.
- 2009.9-2012.6, Ph.D. in Hydrology and Water Resource, Nanjing University, China
- 2005.9-2008.6, M.S. in Geological Engineering, Anhui University of Science and Technology, China
- 2001.9-2005.6, B.S. in Resources and Environment and Urban and Rural Planning, Anhui University of Science and Technology, China
Professional and Academic Positions:
- 2018.2-Now, Research Associate Professor, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology
- 2015.7-2018.1, Associate Researcher, Center for Hydrosciences Research, Nanjing University
- 2012.7-2015.6, Assistant Researcher, Center for Hydrosciences Research, Nanjing University
- 2016.11-2017.11, Visiting Scholar, Department of Geology & Geophysics, Texas A&M University
- 2013.8-2014.8, Postdoc Researcher, Department of Geoscience, University of Iowa
Editorial Duty and Membership：
- 2019-present Associate Editor, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment
- 2020-2022 Associate Editor, Vadose Zone Journal
- American Geophysical Union
Honors and Awards：
- 2018, Outstanding Reviewer of Journal of Hydrology
- 2016, Outstanding Reviewer of Journal of Hydrology
- 2011, Guanghua Scholarship, Nanjing University
- 2011, The Excellent Postgraduates, Nanjing University
1. Coupling unsaturated-saturated flow.
2. Interaction of the surface-groundwater flow.
3. Modeling of vapor instrusion.
4. Stochastic theory of flow and transport in geological media.
Publications Read More
Lab members Read More
Spurred by China’s strategic needs for better environmental protection, Southern University of Science and Technology established the School of Environmental Science and Engineering (“School of Environment”) in May 2015. Professor Chunmiao Zheng, an internationally renowned expert in the field of groundwater research, is the founding Dean of the School. The School’s faculty conduct cutting-edge research on water resources and water quality, soil science and remediation, air pollution control, industrial ecology, global environmental change and related areas. The School also aims to develop advanced technologies to meet urgent societal needs, such as novel wastewater treatment and desalination technologies, energy-saving and emission reduction technologies, and environmental remote sensing technologies.
I. Development Objectives
A leading school for training and cultivating future talents and the next generation of leaders in the field of environmental science and engineering;
A world-class environmental research center of excellence;
A national platform for development and industrialization of advanced environmental technologies.
The School is recruiting an outstanding faculty globally. Currently, the School has 26 full-time faculty members and six visiting faculty members. Among the full-time faculty members, 10 are professors, 6 associate professors, and 9 assistant professors. The faculty have received numerous honors and distinctions. Among them, one is fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (UK), two recipients of the Outstanding Young Investigator Award from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), one recipient of the State Council Special Allowance, one recipient of the National High-level Personnel of Special Support Program, two recipients of the Outstanding Young Investigator (junior level) Award from NSFC. All faculty members have prior experiences studying and/or working abroad.
Educational Goals: To cultivate environmental research and management talents with innovative spirit, global perspective and multidisciplinary academic training.
Undergraduate Programs: The School has two undergraduate degree programs officially approved by the Ministry of Education: Environmental Science and Engineering (ESE) and Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering (HWR). The undergraduate education at the School is characterized by its emphasis on solid academic preparation and innovation of engineering and science. The two degree programs have their unique features as well. ESE emphasizes the nexus of resources, environment and socio-economic development, as well as the development of new environmental industries, products and services. HWR emphasizes integrated surface water-groundwater research and management, as well as water science from molecular to global scales. The first class of about 40 students have joined the ESE program since September 2016. About 60 students are expected to join the two degree programs in September 2017.
The School’s research priorities include hydrology and water resources, environmental biogeochemistry, water pollution and treatment, soil and groundwater remediation, solid waste disposal and utilization, atmospheric chemistry and pollution control, ecological system assessment, environmental remote sensing, and global environmental change. We welcome talented faculty and students in these fields from all over the world to join the School, work with us to build a world-class multi-disciplinary environmental research center of excellence, and contribute to the solution of global environmental problems.