Associate Professor Department of Ocean Science and Engineering
Dr. Chao Hou is currently an Associated Professor at Department of Ocean Science and Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech). He received his PhD in 2014 and was awarded as an outstanding PhD graduate of Tsinghua University as well as Beijing City. Ever since his PhD study, Dr. Chao Hou has been pursuing original and innovative research at the forefront of advanced structural and construction engineering. His research agenda has focused on the new challenges facing society in the structural performance, the construction technology and the design methodology for advanced engineering structures suitable for ocean application. Dr. Hou has been fortunate to be able to incorporate much of his research experiences into his teaching. He was the coordinator and lecturer for courses Structural Analysis and Steel-Concrete Composite Structures at the University of Sydney (USyd), and is now teaching a new course Materials for Ocean Engineering at SUSTech. Based on his outstanding teaching performance, Dr. Hou received the Faculty Dean’s Award for Outstanding Teaching (Civil) in 2018 at USYD.
2005.08-2009.07 Department of Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University, B.E.
2009.08-2014.07 Department of Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University, Ph.D
2019.09 – present, Department of Ocean Science & Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology, Associate Professor
2018.01-2019.08, School of Civil Engineering, The University of Sydney, Lecturer
2015.06-2017.12, School of Civil Engineering, The University of Sydney, Associate Lecturer
• Dean’s School Award for Outstanding Teaching (Civil), Faculty of Engineering & IT, The University of Sydney, 2018.
• Outstanding PhD Graduate of Tsinghua University, Tsinghua University, 2014.
• Outstanding PhD Graduate of Beijing City, Beijing, 2014.
• First Class Award for Excellent Doctoral Dissertation of Tsinghua University, Tsinghua University, 2014.
• National Scholarship of China, 2013.
• Sustainable Composite Structures for Ocean Environment
• Life-Cycle Performance of Engineering Structures
• Advanced Structural Analysis and Construction Technology
Courses: Structural Mechanics; Materials for Ocean Engineering
Main content of Structural Mechanics: basic theories of structural mechanics; analysis of static structures; stiffness method; moment-area method; Euler-Bernoulli beam theory; truss analysis; structural stability of columns. Through the learning of this course, students can enhance the understanding on the composition of fundamental structural system and improve the ability of structural analysis. This course helps students lay a foundation for ocean science and engineering related study in the future, and builds up students' ability to provide rational analysis and design for common engineering structures.
By taking Materials for Ocean Engineering, students will learn the following knowledge and skills: basic constitutive features, mechanical properties and characteristics of traditional building materials such as timber, masonry, concrete, metals and etc.; basic constitutive features, mechanical properties and characteristics of fiber reinforced plastics; discussion of the chemical structure, crystalline structure, microstructure and interface structure for materials; basic characteristics of composite structures composed of different materials; principles and methods of the material selection for ocean engineering structures.
Publications Read More
SUSTech hosts IWGOA 2019
Over the weekend, the Department of Ocean Science and Engineering (OSE) at Southern University of Science and Technology worked with the Shenzhen Key Laboratory of Archaeal Earth, the South China Sea Institute of Oceanology (SCIO) of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) to host the International […]
First “Ten-thousand Student Interflow Programme”held at SUSTech
January 12-25 saw Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) hold the first “College teachers and students exchange plan of Hong Kong, Macao and Mainland universities” (Ten-thousand Interflow Student Programme). The Ten-thousand Interflow Student Programme is an important project platform established in 2012 to support teachers and students from Hong Kong universities to experience and […]
SUSTech students succeed in underwater robot contest
Earlier this month, Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) sent its first student team to compete in the 12th International Underwater Robot Competition, this year hosted by Shanghai Maritime University. The team won 6 prizes in total, four 2nd prizes and two 3rd prizes. 7 students from the Departments of Mechanical & Energy Engineering (MEE), Ocean Science […]
Lab members Read More
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOW IN ADVANCED STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING / OCEAN ENGINEERING
DEPARTMENT OF OCEAN SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
The Department of Ocean Science and Engineering at Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) seeks to appoint two Postdoctoral Research Fellows to join Dr. Chao Hou’s research group to provide an understanding of innovative composite structures/systems suitable for marine environment. This is an opportunity to join an energetic research group and participate in major research projects funded by prestigious resources.
The Department of Ocean Science and Engineering at SUSTech has been aimed to build up a world leading program of research and education in oceanography, including advanced structural engineering for marine applications. For more information of the Department, please refer to the following links:
Working in collaboration with our team members, you will be expected to:
- participate in advanced research on innovative composite structural systems suitable for marine applications;
- complete project research independently and publish high-level academic papers;
- participate in the guidance of PhD or master graduates, research assistant and undergraduates.
To be successful in this position you will have:
- a PhD (within 3 years since graduation) from an esteem institution in civil engineering, mechanics, marine engineering, materials engineering or related area;
- publications in high impact international journals in related fields as the first author (or with the first author being your research supervisor);
- a demonstrated ability to conduct independent research and work in a team;
- excellent communication and English writing skills.
The position is full-time fixed term for two years.
Around ¥335K p.a. including ¥150K subsidy from Guangdong Province Subsidy (tax included) and ¥60K from Shenzhen Living Subsidy (tax excluded), also participate in social security and housing provident fund according to the relevant regulations of Shenzhen City. Post-doctoral benefits will be paid with reference to the university staff standards.
Other competitive remuneration package:
- Particularly outstanding candidates are entitled to apply for the post-doctoral excellence postdoctoral grant, with an annual salary of ¥415K (including subsidies from Guangdong Province and Shenzhen City).
- The research group provides excellent working environment and travelling support for research communications. Post-doctoral fellows are entitled to a ¥25K fund specifically for academic communications during the two-year appointment.
- The research group provides sufficient research support, including supporting the post-doctoral fellow, as the leading CI, to apply for funds from the China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, the National Natural Science Foundation of China, and relevant schemes from Guangdong Province and Shenzhen City.
- The research group supports qualified post-doctors to apply for “Introduction of Overseas Young Postdoctoral Program of Guangdong Province”. Under this scheme, post-doctoral fellows who obtained a doctorate degree in the top 200 universities worldwide (according to the latest world university rankings of Times, USNEWS, QS or Shanghai Jiaotong University, domestic universities excluded) will receive ¥600K of living subsidies from the provincial government finance if their application is successful.
- Post-doctoral fellows that meet the specific eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply for " Shenzhen City: Peacock Program for Overseas High-Level Talents Introduction" or "Shenzhen Reserve Talent" to receive a total of ¥1,600K (tax free). Please refer to the latest relevant requirements from the Shenzhen government for details.
- Excellent post-doctoral fellows will be recommended and assisted to apply for research assistant professor positions at SUSTech upon the completion of the two-year term.
All applications must be submitted to the email as following:
Please use the email subject as “Application for postdoc position + Your name”.
The application documents should include:
- A latest CV of yours, which contains Date of birth, Contact details, Education background, Employment history and Research experience);
- Evidence of research excellence, e.g. a record of awards or prizes, publications, etc.