The Global Scientist Interdisciplinary Forum at Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) is an important conference for talent recruitment. It aims to provide a platform for academic exchanges among young scholars at home and abroad, to promote interdisciplinary and academic innovation, and discuss the approach for the construction of world-class universities and disciplines. Through the recruitment of world-class talents, we plan to build SUSTech into a high-level research university with unique characteristics in the world.
1.Under age of 40 （born after 1 January 1980）;
2.Doctoral degree obtained from internationally renowned universities and institutes; or Ph.D. degrees from Chinese universities with more than 3 years of working abroad, with achievements in related fields or good potential for further development; scholars with academic influence in the related field. Scholars from all areas are welcome.
Registration Date: Jan 3, 2020(Fri)
Date of the Forum: Jan 4-5, 2020
An introduction of SUSTech, academic presentations, tours inside SUSTech and Shenzhen City will be arranged during the forum.
Please submit your CV and one page cover letter to institutional mailbox of SUSTech Academy for Department of Earth and Space Sciences
(firstname.lastname@example.org) and Advanced Interdisciplinary Studies mailbox (email@example.com), entitled “SUSTech Global Scientist Interdisciplinary Forum Application-ESS” for evaluation. We will evaluate your application and send out invitation as soon as possible. Please send materials at your earliest convenience since the registration is limited.
The application will close on December 15, 2019. Successful applicants will receive the invitation before December 20, 2019.
1. Free accommodation and lodging will be provided;
2. Travels: All invited participants need to purchase their own tickets (economy class). We will provide travel reimbursement for the actual cost of tickets from December 20, 2019 to January 20, 2020 (maximum CNY 12,000 per person).
For faculty of SUSTech awarded with national talent plans, the following salary and benefits package will be provided:
1. Globally competitive (including US, HK and Singapore) salary;
2. According to the recently released policy of Guangdong Provision，income tax of qualified high-level talents will be compensated by local government to a maximum of 15%;
3. A total of CNY 2.75 million living and housing subsidies (national, provincial and Shenzhen Peacock B)，with apartment inside campus or housing allowance of leasing outside; An extra yearly subsidy of CNY 500,000 will be awarded to scholars with “Pearl River Talents Plan” (longest for 5 years);
4. Insurance：Shenzhen’s highest level of retirement insurance, medical insurance, unemployment insurance, industrial injury insurance, maternity insurance and housing accumulation funds. Special high-level health insurance is negotiable;
5. Lab space about 150 square meters;
6. At least 1 PhD student per year and total 5 post-doctoral fellows support, with yearly subsidy of CNY 180,000 from Shenzhen government for each post-doctoral fellow; Self-determination of hiring research assistant professors (RAPs) with competitive research fund support for RAPs.
7. A total of approximate CNY 8~12 million research fund; assistance to apply for other competitive national, provincial and Shenzhen grants；
8. Permanent residence or resident visa service of scholar and family (spouse and children); Service of children’s education in SUSTech affiliated preschool, primary school and middle school; Spouse’s employment service.
Ms. Hongmei WANG
Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) is a research-oriented public university founded in Shenzhen, China’s innovation center, to serve as a model for reforming the education system and modernizing the national university system. SUSTech has learned from world-class research institutions spanning the globe and has planned its academic disciplines based on the major needs and strategic industries emerging around the Pearl River Delta region. With a major focus on science and engineering, SUSTech still has substantial research focuses in medicine, humanities and social services, to maximize the potential for new ideas across disciplines for new knowledge, new technologies and social development. With the characteristic of research, innovation and entrepreneurship, the unique spirit of hard work, SUSTech aims to attract high-quality talents to its faculty, cultivate outstanding and innovative talents, achieve internationally excellent research outcomes, advance knowledge and promote the application of science and technology, and to become a world-class research university.
Currently, There are about 800 faculties，including about 380 tenure/tenure-track professors, 27 academicians and fellows of academies; more than 50% of faculties are high-level talents. There are 6470 students in SUSTech, including 4205 high quality undergraduate students and 2214 graduate students. Since 2016, according to National science and technology statistics of ordinary colleges and universities, SUSTech's research fund of per faculty member has kept more than CNY 1 million for three years, ranking among the top 5 universities in China. Hitherto, SUSTech has been granted 9 Guangdong Provision-level and 27 Shenzhen City-level research institutes/laboratories. In 2019, SUSTech was ranked No. 26 in “Nature Index” among all mainland universities of China. The “Nature Index 2018 Rising Stars” showed that among world's 100 fastest-rising organizations, SUSTech was ranked 4th in the list, which is No. 1 among young universities established after 1988. On September 12th, 2019, Times Higher Education (THE) released its THE World University Rankings 2020, with Southern University of Science and Technology maintaining its top ten ranking in mainland China, ranking equal ninth in mainland China and between 301st and 350th in the world; especially, SUSTech maintains the highest score in terms of citation among all universities in mainland China, and has maintained a top three position in international outlook across mainland China.
The Department of Earth and Space Sciences (ESS) at Southern University of Science and Technology was established in December 2016. Prof. Xiaofei Chen, a renowned seismologist and an academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), was appointed as the founding department head.
ESS encompasses a wide range of scientific disciplines: Geophysics, Space Physics, Space Geodesy, and Planetary Science. By the end of October 2019, ESS has thirty-one faculty members, including six professors, four associate professors, eleven assistant professors, and ten research assistant professors, Among them, there are one Academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences, three Distinguished Young Scholars of National Nature Science Fund, one Excellent Young Scientists of National Science Fund.
Through building up a world-leading program of research and education in earth and space sciences, we strive to conduct research to advance our understanding on the complex natural system of earth and space, in order to provide scientific solutions to many of the societal challenges of our time: natural hazards, natural energy resources, space exploration, etc. In the meantime, our department offers rigorous hands-on training to students and prepares them to be future leaders in academia, government and industry. We welcome more talents to join us and work together to build a world-class research and education center for Earth and Space Sciences.